Posted to gui-dev@apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net> on 2000/02/15 11:26:20 UTC

new home for @apache.org lists.

Apologies in advance for any duplicates.... and please, if you choose to
respond to this message, do *not* respond to all, just to me.

The mail for addresses @apache.org has been moved to a new machine, and
with it to a new mailing list manager, ezmlm (ta ta majordumbo).  To
get the list of administrative commands available, please send an email to

  list-help@apache.org

where "list" is the list you're subscribed to.

Also, the lists "new-httpd", "apache-cvs", "modperl-cvs" now have digests.
The "modperl-digest" list is intact.

Let me know if you see any problems.

        Brian

Re: new home for @apache.org lists.

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@elmar.co.il>.
An administrative message. I apologize if it is not the right place
to do it.

There is a small bug in the new ezmlm configuration:

Error messages (such as "michael_quinn: 550
<mi...@localhost>... User unknown") are sent to the "Sender:"
address instead of the "From:" address. Because of e-mail
masquerading, this address is not always correct. The right address
to send such messages to, is "Reply-To:" when available, otherwise -
"From:". The "Sender:" should be ignored and not used.

The new wrong behavior happens only since the upgrade.

(IMHO, such errors should not be sent at all, even to the *real*
sender, but at least don't send them to the wrong addresses).
--
Eli Marmor

Re: new home for @apache.org lists.

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.

Brian> Someone asked about what headers to use for filtering.  The
Brian> "Mailing-List" header is guaranteed to be there and correspond
Brian> to the exact list you're interested in,

Actualy, I find that this procmail recipe is best:

# New Apache Lists
:0:
* ^^From [^@]+-return[^@]*@apache\.org
* ^list-post: <mailto:\/[^>]+
  $MATCH/.

Make the end of the regexp mailto:\/[^@]+
to leave off the @apache.org, of course.

(I like to use the full posting address so I can remember how to post
to each list....)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.  <URL:http://jhcloos.com/public_key> 1024D/ED7DAEA6
<cl...@jhcloos.com>  E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6

Re: new home for @apache.org lists.

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> > I see that the mailing lists are following RFC 2369 (which is the basis
> > for Cloos' procmail recipe). Can we get a tweak to the ezmlm software to
> > insert a List-Id header, per this draft:
> >
> >     http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chandhok-listid-04.txt
> >
> > That would be "the best way" to identify a list for filtering.
>
> Erm, "Mailing-List:" seems to do the same thing.  But if you get either
> ezmlm or ezmlm-idx to get it into the next version, it'll find its way
> here eventually.

I haven't seen that one in an RFC or Internet Draft. Is that header
specific to ezmlm, or is it a more common standard?

I'll contact the ezmlm author re: List-Id.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: new home for @apache.org lists.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Someone asked about what headers to use for filtering.  The "Mailing-List"
> header is guaranteed to be there and correspond to the exact list you're
> interested in, and won't be there on private copies when someone responds
> to you directly, cc'ing the list.  So I recommend filtering on that
> instead of the "Sender:" field as you may have done previously.

I see that the mailing lists are following RFC 2369 (which is the basis
for Cloos' procmail recipe). Can we get a tweak to the ezmlm software to
insert a List-Id header, per this draft:

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chandhok-listid-04.txt

That would be "the best way" to identify a list for filtering.

Thx,
-g

p.s. Mailman has adopted that header already... let's see if we can push
some other MLMs into it... :-)

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: new home for @apache.org lists.