Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Andy Carlson <an...@hotmail.com> on 2001/11/12 17:40:56 UTC

Patch to make Velocity work on JDK 1.1

Hi all,

A few months back I was working on a project which was constrained to use
JDK 1.1 due to support issues with a legacy access library. I wanted to use
Velocity but found that it required the JDK 1.2 collections (hmm... shouldnt
these prerequisites be documented? - I digress)

After unsuccessfully looking for suitable alternatives, I decided to patch
Velocity to work on JDK 1.1 using the Sun Infobus collections library. I've
just dug my patch out again and updated it to Velocity 1.2 RC3. The result
is attached in a zip file. It would be nice if this patch could be made
available on the Velocity site.

The zip file includes a 'howto' document which should explain most things
about the patch.

The following parts of Velocity are NOT supported:-
- JarResourceLoader
- Anakia
- Texen
- Use of the Avalon logging package (i.e. you must use Log4J)
- the ClassLoader change test (but this might be fixable)

The Velocity library patching is done entirely using ANT, so you can see
exactly what is being done by inspecting build.xml.

The changes needed to the unit tests are somewhat beyond the capabilities of
ANT's <replace> task, so extra files need to be unpacked over the Velocity
originals if you want to run the test suite.

Some of the patches could probably be merged back into the main sources
without causing problems.

I'm not sure if this list allows attachments, but I suspect I'm about to
find out.

Regards,
Andy

Re: Patch to make Velocity work on JDK 1.1

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@yahoo.com>.
Got the attachment :)

Will take a look _ I think that for the first go, this is something for the
contrib section of the site.  I assume that you will just have to chase the
releases and update if need be?

And I think it states in the README.txt that Java 2 is required.

Geir

On 11/12/01 11:40 AM, "Andy Carlson" <an...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few months back I was working on a project which was constrained to use
> JDK 1.1 due to support issues with a legacy access library. I wanted to use
> Velocity but found that it required the JDK 1.2 collections (hmm... shouldnt
> these prerequisites be documented? - I digress)
>
> After unsuccessfully looking for suitable alternatives, I decided to patch
> Velocity to work on JDK 1.1 using the Sun Infobus collections library. I've
> just dug my patch out again and updated it to Velocity 1.2 RC3. The result
> is attached in a zip file. It would be nice if this patch could be made
> available on the Velocity site.
>
> The zip file includes a 'howto' document which should explain most things
> about the patch.
>
> The following parts of Velocity are NOT supported:-
> - JarResourceLoader
> - Anakia
> - Texen
> - Use of the Avalon logging package (i.e. you must use Log4J)
> - the ClassLoader change test (but this might be fixable)
>
> The Velocity library patching is done entirely using ANT, so you can see
> exactly what is being done by inspecting build.xml.
>
> The changes needed to the unit tests are somewhat beyond the capabilities of
> ANT's <replace> task, so extra files need to be unpacked over the Velocity
> originals if you want to run the test suite.
>
> Some of the patches could probably be merged back into the main sources
> without causing problems.
>
> I'm not sure if this list allows attachments, but I suspect I'm about to
> find out.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

System and Software Consulting

Re: Patch to make Velocity work on JDK 1.1

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 11/12/01 8:40 AM, "Andy Carlson" <an...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> (hmm... shouldnt
> these prerequisites be documented? - I digress)

jakarta-velocity/README.txt

REQUIREMENTS
The Java 2 SDK is required to build Velocity.

That should probably be modified to say "build/run", but I think that the
intent of JDK1.2 is pretty clear. :-)

Oh yea, it also says it here in the first sentence:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/install.html>

Velocity runs on a variety of platforms that have installed the Java 2
Virtual Machine. The J2SDK is required for users who want to compile
Velocity from its source code.

-jon