Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Keith Watanabe <ke...@nssmb.com> on 2002/11/25 10:27:54 UTC

IPC::Open2, mod_perl and cvsweb

Hi!

I was wondering if there are any known issues regarding IPC::Open2 with mod_perl.  I recently put cvsweb.cgi under mod_perl for our cvs server and found problems where with the cvsweb.cgi attempting to close the logfile.  The statement looks like this:

close($reader) or warn "cannot close: $!"; # i changed die to warn so i could look at my log file

the log file error reported:

cannot closing Broken pipe at /var/apache/data/cvsweb/run.cgi line 1674.

I dumped the script back under a normal cgi directory for which the script operated normally.  I'm not sure why exactly this is causing a broken pipe.  The directories that are being used have been chmod'd so that cvs annotate can write the lock file to them (otherwise the normal CGI version wouldn't work either).  So I've pretty muched narrowed it down to mod_perl and IPC::Open2.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with cvsweb and mod_perl?

Thanks!

-keith

Re: IPC::Open2, mod_perl and cvsweb

Posted by Keith Watanabe <ke...@nssmb.com>.
> Seconded. Go with IPC::Run and you won't regret, since it works under
> mod_perl and gives you much more than the IPC::Open* family.

got it to work.  thanks guys!

Re: IPC::Open2, mod_perl and cvsweb

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ilya Martynov wrote:

>>>Seconded. Go with IPC::Run and you won't regret, since it works
>>>under mod_perl and gives you much more than the IPC::Open* family.
>>

> GY> IPC::Run++
>
> Question about IPC::Open2 under mod_perl seems to arise quite
> frequently. Maybe it should be added to mod_perl guide in 'Frequent
> mod_perl problems' section.

done. will be online at the troubleshooting.html chapter on the next
automatic update (within 6 hours).

Re: IPC::Open2, mod_perl and cvsweb

Posted by Ilya Martynov <il...@martynov.org>.

--
Ilya Martynov,  ilya@iponweb.net
CTO IPonWEB (UK) Ltd

Re: IPC::Open2, mod_perl and cvsweb

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

>> Look in archives. I think many people had problems with IPC::Open2
>> under mod_perl. So far the best solution I know is just replacing it
>> with IPC::Run.
>

> Seconded. Go with IPC::Run and you won't regret, since it works under
> mod_perl and gives you much more than the IPC::Open* family.

IPC::Run++

it's not just for system() anymore :)

--Geoff

Re: IPC::Open2, mod_perl and cvsweb