Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Rodney Broom <rb...@home.com> on 2000/10/12 05:24:13 UTC

Re: [OT] hi all

RM> we have a query which goes to 7kb...

"7 kb"? I don't mean to be picky, but do you mean "seven kilo-bytes"? I'm
thinking that either you mean some much larger number, or that I'm missing
something terribly.

Either way, what does your query look like? Are you joining across 3 tables and
then back onto one of those tables again, and then using a bunch of LIKEs and
ORs? Or is this just a simple "select * from xyz"?

If it isn't obvious from your query as to what's the problems, then we should
probably know a bit about your server config. Like, "We're running on Win3.11".
;-)

----
Rodney Broom

Re: [OT] hi all

Posted by Rodney Broom <rb...@home.com>.
DB> I read this as meaning the QUERY string is 7k in size, not the result set.

Hmm, I didn't think of that. Yes, that would be a big query.

DB> ...the words 'stored
DB> procedure' come to mind (but that's always another story)

Yes, no stored proceedures in mysql. But if this does refer to 7KB of text in
the query, then I have to think that there's a better way to write it. I wrote a
little search engine that did a bit of:

where (
  id = 3 or
  id = 5 or
  id = 2838
)
But that was to get around a bad LIKE statement. And it actually runs pretty
well. My thought would still be that the statement can probably be cleaned up a
bit. Hey Rajesh, I know that you probably don't want to share the exactities of
the query for business reasons, but any indication you can give would help in my
oppinion.

----
Rodney Broom

Re: [OT] hi all

Posted by Dave Baker <da...@dsb3.com>.
On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 08:24:13PM -0700, Rodney Broom wrote:
> RM> we have a query which goes to 7kb...
>
> "7 kb"? I don't mean to be picky, but do you mean "seven kilo-bytes"? I'm
> thinking that either you mean some much larger number, or that I'm missing
> something terribly.

I read this as meaning the QUERY string is 7k in size, not the result set.

A 7k query is pretty hefty, however you slice it .... the words 'stored
procedure' come to mind (but that's always another story)

dave

--

-  Dave Baker  :  dave@dsb3.com  :  http://dsb3.com/  :  AIM#duirwyrd  -
GPG: 1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D