Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Yao Ge <ya...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/05 23:33:40 UTC

Query Filter fq with OR operator

If I want use OR operator with mutile query filters, I can do:
fq=popularity:[10 TO *] OR section:0
Is there a more effecient alternative to this?

Re: Query Filter fq with OR operator

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Yao,

A contribution would be great.  Here is information about how to contribute: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

Thanks,
Otis

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Yao Ge <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will like to submit a JIRA issue for this. Can anyone help me on where to
> go?

An issue has been opened already. You may want to add a vote to the
following issue.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Query Filter fq with OR operator

Posted by Yao Ge <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by brian519 <bp...@desire2learn.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Brian,

Posted by brian519 <bp...@desire2learn.com>.
Adding my vote for this feature.  Another possible way to do this would be to
introduce the "ofq" parameter .. so all of the fq's and AND'ed and the ofq's
would be OR'd

I've got some really complicated fq's that aren't going to cache well,
introducing OR'd filters would allow me to use simpler filters and I expect
performance would be a lot better

Thanks

Re: Query Filter fq with OR operator

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Yao Ge <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I want use OR operator with mutile query filters, I can do:
> fq=popularity:[10 TO *] OR section:0
> Is there a more effecient alternative to this?

There is not currently a more efficient way to do this.   But esp with
multi-select support now in Solr, it starts making more sense to
figure out a way to support "OR" filters.

Possible future solutions... (stuff that belongs on solr-dev)
one could perhaps that the parts of a boolean query be cached separately:
fq={!cache=sep}fq=popularity:[10 TO *] OR section:0

Or, we could even support specifying the "OR" clauses separately,
correlating them with a tag:
fq={!grp=a}fq=popularity:[10 TO *]
fq={!grp=a}section:0

If we want the latter, we need to keep in mind how it would interact
with excluding certain filters during faceting... i.e. one part could
be excluded and the other part not.  Seems doable though.

The other part of the puzzle is how to pass this info around (for
example, search routines take a List<Query> for filters).  Perhaps the
easiest way is to create a SolrQuery class that wraps a query and
gives extra processing instructions such as caching the clauses
separately.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com