Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Gayan Weerakutti <ga...@linuxdeveloper.space> on 2021/11/29 05:29:50 UTC

PubsubIO writer error handling

Hi,

We are using PubsubIO.writeMessages() in one of our production
pipelines. We were wondering what would happen if there's a temporary
connection failure to Pub/Sub.

Will PubSubIo be able recover? Will the failed messages be replayed?

Really appreciate any insights on this.

--
Thanks & regards,

Gayan Weerakutti

linkedin.com/in/gayanweerakutti
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/gayanweerakutti/>

Re: PubsubIO writer error handling

Posted by Israel Herraiz <ih...@google.com>.
If you are using Cloud Dataflow, and since this would be a streaming
pipeline, any error will be retried indefinitely. So if the write errors
are transitory, the messages will be eventually published in the
destination topic. More info at
https://cloud.google.com/dataflow/docs/resources/faq#how-are-java-exceptions-handled-in-cloud-dataflow

Posted by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com>.
Depending on the runner and how it considers the pipeline a failure but
typically most runners that are executing in a streaming mode (e.g.
Dataflow) will keep retrying until there is a successful publish.