Posted to commits@openoffice.apache.org by co...@apache.org on 2013/02/28 17:08:00 UTC

[CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Strategic Plan

Space: Apache OpenOffice Community (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS)
Page: Website Strategic Plan (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Website+Strategic+Plan)

Added by Rob Weir:
h2. Where we are today

The Apache OpenOffice project maintains the following web properties today:
|| Property || Technology\\ || Content size\\ || Usage level\\ ||
| www.openoffice.org\\ | Static pages, mainly HTML, some MDText.\\
 Uses Apache CMS,\\ | 19,697 html pages\\
 198 mdtext\\ | Top page (download/index.html) receives 3.5 million visits/month.\\
 Over 5000 pages receive more than 100 visits/month.\\ |
| openoffice.apache.org\\ | Static pages mainly MDText.\\
 Uses Apache CMS, | 49 mdtext pages\\
 4 html pages\\ | 155K total page views/month\\ |
| cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/ | Confluence Wiki\\ | \~180 pages\\ | Unknown, but mainly active project members, not end-users, though permissions permit public editing.\\ |
| cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/ | Confluence Wiki\\ | 1 page\\ | Unused\\ |
| wiki.openoffice.org | Media Wiki\\ | 11,281 pages\\ | \~900K page viewers per month\\
 Over 1300 pages receive more than 100 visits/month\\ |
| forum.openoffice.org\\ | phpBB\\ | ?\\ | ?\\ |
| extensions.openoffice.org\\ | ?\\ | ?\\ | ?\\ |
| templates.openoffice.org\\ | ?\\ | ?\\ | ?\\ |

h2. What is working well today

* We've successfully migrated and preserved a huge amount of content (over a decade's worth) and brought it over to Apache.
* The CMS mechanism allows us to quickly push out page changes to the website, including site-wide template changes.   The most common site-wide changes can be made efficiently, without touching every page, an important consideration for a website of this size.
* MediaWiki user interface is well-known and accepted by its users.
* Site-wide integration of Google Analytics has enabled us to track how our sites are being used and provides concrete data for decision making.

h2. What is not working so well today

* Redundancy of services, in particular the multiple wikis.  This fragments content and causes confusion.
* UI inconsistency between our web properties.
* Inconsistency within individual properties, e.g., within the www.openoffice.org website, especially with the NL websites.
* Inconsistency at the markup level as to what HTML version is being targeted, what encodings are used, whether document is even well-formed. In other words, all the liabilities of human-authored HTML.
* In general lack of a consistent information taxonomy that allows the user (or the content author) to know where a given topic belongs on the website(s).
* Perception that website is "tired" and lacks freshness and modern appeal.
* Large amounts of outdated content on website and wiki.
* Lack of consistent, documented best practices and techniques for maintaining NL websites.  What is translated and how?
* Skill mismatch between what translators know and what is actually needed to maintain an NL website.  (Translators are not HTML designers and certainly not CMS experts)
* Similar for potential content authors, the skill level needed to maintain an HTML-based website with the CMS exceeds that of most potential volunteers.
* Sustainability concerns due to our use of unsupported applications (from Apache Infra perspective), including phpBB and MWiki and reliance on a very small number of system admins.

h2. Opportunities and Challenges

h2. High Level Goals

h2. Specific Tasks to Support Goals

Change your notification preferences: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewnotifications.action