Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "楊富丞 (Kenneth Yang)" <ti...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/23 11:16:10 UTC

Problems in the integration of Felix and Android

Hi,

I am totally new to Felix as well as Android.

I am trying to integrate Felix into Android with user GUI.
However, we encounter some problems.
We have successfully move the Felix framework to Android emulator.
To the best of our knowledge, if we want to dynamically load bundles or make
modification,
we need a root privilege which is normally not workable for general Android
phone users.

So my questions are
1. How can we pack Felix as an apk file so that  Android can execute Felix
dynamically?
2. Do we necessarily switch the privilege mode into root or simply with the
default mode?

We are planning to design a GUI to users listing the available services
(bundles) around.
So we are sincere and thankful to your answers.

Best Regards,
Kenneth

Re: Problems in the integration of Felix and Android

Posted by jo...@exceter.com.
How are you starting felix and how are you trying to load the bundles?

Quoting "??? (Kenneth Yang)" <ti...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I am totally new to Felix as well as Android.
>
> I am trying to integrate Felix into Android with user GUI.
> However, we encounter some problems.
> We have successfully move the Felix framework to Android emulator.
> To the best of our knowledge, if we want to dynamically load bundles or make
> modification,
> we need a root privilege which is normally not workable for general Android
> phone users.
>
> So my questions are
> 1. How can we pack Felix as an apk file so that  Android can execute Felix
> dynamically?
> 2. Do we necessarily switch the privilege mode into root or simply with the
> default mode?
>
> We are planning to design a GUI to users listing the available services
> (bundles) around.
> So we are sincere and thankful to your answers.
>
> Best Regards,
> Kenneth

--------
"I don't care what you can do. I care what you can guarantee."

Re: Problems in the integration of Felix and Android

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2011/8/23 楊富丞 (Kenneth Yang) <ti...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am totally new to Felix as well as Android.
>
> I am trying to integrate Felix into Android with user GUI.
> However, we encounter some problems.
> We have successfully move the Felix framework to Android emulator.
> To the best of our knowledge, if we want to dynamically load bundles or make
> modification,
> we need a root privilege which is normally not workable for general Android
> phone users.
>
> So my questions are
> 1. How can we pack Felix as an apk file so that  Android can execute Felix
> dynamically?

Not sure what you mean exactly but maybe this helps:
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-launching-and-embedding.html

> 2. Do we necessarily switch the privilege mode into root or simply with the
> default mode?

No, you don't need privileged mode. Default mode works just fine. If
you embed felix in your apk and set it up correctly (i.e., give it a
writeable cache location) it will work as long as you dex your bundles
(e.g., http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-and-google-android.html).

> We are planning to design a GUI to users listing the available services
> (bundles) around.

Nice. A couple of people have used felix inside their apks
successfully - hence, do ask on this list if you run into problems.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls