Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@apache.org> on 2004/11/30 21:57:55 UTC

Tomcat startup & portlet applications

Sometimes it takes two restarts of tomcat to initialize newly deployed
portlet applications. The error message is something like:  failed to
obtain RequestDispatcher for application.

It's random (seen it with login portlet or with a custom portlet) but it
seems like a timing issue between tomcat and Jetspeed.

Has anybody seen this? Any ideas how this could be fixed/improved?

Roger

Re: Tomcat startup & portlet applications

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Roger Ruttimann wrote:

> Sometimes it takes two restarts of tomcat to initialize newly deployed
> portlet applications. The error message is something like:  failed to
> obtain RequestDispatcher for application.
>
> It's random (seen it with login portlet or with a custom portlet) but it
> seems like a timing issue between tomcat and Jetspeed.
>
> Has anybody seen this? Any ideas how this could be fixed/improved?
>
> Roger

I think its a race condition where the Tomcat autodeploy kicks in around
the same time as Jetspeeds. I see this occassionally to.
Try this setting in Tomcat's server.xml:

       <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false"

specifically:

autoDeploy="false"

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: Tomcat startup & portlet applications

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Roger Ruttimann wrote:

> Sometimes it takes two restarts of tomcat to initialize newly deployed
> portlet applications. The error message is something like:  failed to
> obtain RequestDispatcher for application.
>
> It's random (seen it with login portlet or with a custom portlet) but it
> seems like a timing issue between tomcat and Jetspeed.
>
> Has anybody seen this? Any ideas how this could be fixed/improved?

I've seen that with the security and pam apps, although its not
happening now...