Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Lynne K." <ly...@tht.net> on 2002/09/12 16:47:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Intranet To WWW

Hello,

  I'm running an internet webserver using RH Linux and Apache.  I've also got an ethernet-based intranet 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5.  On one of those hubs has another web server that I'd like to get out onto my main webserver.  The hub I want to be able to use is 192.168.1.4.  If I type in http://192.168.1.4 from any of the local hubs I can view the webpages just fine.  Is there some way I can have the main webserver do the same?  Any help is much appreciated.

Lynne K.

Re: [users@httpd] Intranet To WWW

Posted by Brian Quinn <br...@az511.com>.
This is a very easy thing to acomplish assuming you have a good firewall
setup and a router that is able to do NAT. (my firewall is a PIX 520 which
does both).

If you know what you have let me know and i can't give you examples of the
access lists to use

Brian

Posted by "Lynne K." <ly...@tht.net>.
Thanks for your advice Jason & Brian :)  I will try configuring the forward
through a new port.

Re: [users@httpd] Intranet To WWW

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> - I don't have a NAT box, I am using linux.  I have set up IP Masquerading
> using ipchains, is that what a NAT box does?  Masquerade?

Yes.  I was incorrectly assuming you were using a cable/dsl
router(/firewall) or some other dedicated NAT box.  NAT = Network Address
Translation.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com

Re: [users@httpd] Intranet To WWW

Posted by "Lynne K." <ly...@tht.net>.

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

> I have an Apache webserver - mydomain.com with an IP of let's say
> 216.126.92.25 (anyone can access this from the WWW by typing in their
> browser location field http://www.mydomain.com or http://216.126.92.25 ).
> I also have on the same server an intranet with sub-nets 192.168.1.1 to
> 192.168.1.5 (5 port hubs).  Connected to one of those hubs is a server
> capable of acting as a webserver also.  I'd like to be able to access that
> hub server from www.mydomain.com which has an IP of 216.126.92.25.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere :)

You've got a few options here (in no particular order):

1) get another IP address
2) configure your NAT box to send another port (say 81) to the outer server.
ie, www.mydomain.com:81 would be the second webserver
3) configure a proxy to send requests to www.mydomain.com/secondserver/ to
the second server, and everything else to the primary server.  If you had a

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.