Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws> on 2002/04/08 07:21:40 UTC

A LINK TAG WITH BETTER JAVASCRIPT SUPPORT

Greetings,

I don't know if a similar solution has been provided, but, I tweaked the
Link Tag to support the writing of
'javascript:[function_name]([param1,param2,param3...])' to the href
attribute of the final output. Here is a summarization of it's
functionality:

I added the following attributes:

function - This is the name of the javascript function that will be called;

functionName - This is the name of the bean that will provide parameter
values from one of it's properties.

functionProperty - This is a property of a bean that will either provide a
String or an ArrayList to populate the parameters of the function

urlIndex - This allows you to include the url generated by href,forward or
page to be included at a specific place in the funcion's parameters.

There is another class that I wrote that does the actual processing and
preparation of the url. I named it EcmaUtil.  I modeled the computeURL and
computerParam methods of the RequestUtils class when I built the methods for
the EcmaUtil.

The LinkTag class that I wrote extends the BaseHandlerTag under the
org.apache.struts.taglib.html package of struts jar.

I know the code needs a bit of reworking to fit back in to the struts
framework. I stripped out the MessageReources for the most part and removed
some exception handling that will need to be included again.

Anyways, if nobody has done this in the nightly or if it sounds like it
might be of use. Let me know and I will post the code,the tld and an example
of it's usage.

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245
F (406) 862-0354
mail@phase.ws
http://www.phase.ws

Re: A LINK TAG WITH BETTER JAVASCRIPT SUPPORT

Posted by Girish Patel <da...@yahoo.com>.
Sounds like usefull tag.
Please post code, tld and example
tx
girish
--- Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I don't know if a similar solution has been
> provided, but, I tweaked the
> Link Tag to support the writing of

'javascript:[function_name]([param1,param2,param3...])'
> to the href
> attribute of the final output. Here is a
> summarization of it's
> functionality:
>
> I added the following attributes:
>
> function - This is the name of the javascript
> function that will be called;
>
> functionName - This is the name of the bean that
> will provide parameter
> values from one of it's properties.
>
> functionProperty - This is a property of a bean that
> will either provide a
> String or an ArrayList to populate the parameters of
> the function
>
> urlIndex - This allows you to include the url
> generated by href,forward or
> page to be included at a specific place in the
> funcion's parameters.
>
> There is another class that I wrote that does the
> actual processing and
> preparation of the url. I named it EcmaUtil.  I
> modeled the computeURL and
> computerParam methods of the RequestUtils class when
> I built the methods for
> the EcmaUtil.
>
> The LinkTag class that I wrote extends the
> BaseHandlerTag under the
> org.apache.struts.taglib.html package of struts jar.
>
> I know the code needs a bit of reworking to fit back
> in to the struts
> framework. I stripped out the MessageReources for
> the most part and removed
> some exception handling that will need to be
> included again.
>
> Anyways, if nobody has done this in the nightly or
> if it sounds like it
> might be of use. Let me know and I will post the
> code,the tld and an example
> of it's usage.
>
> Brandon Goodin
> Phase Web and Multimedia