Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Matthias P." <gr...@gmx.de> on 2003/02/27 18:13:12 UTC

ANT visions and best practices

Hi,

I am new to ANT but need to work with it as the responsible configuration
manager (Please dont ask why someone who has never worked with ANT was
appointed as configuration manager. I hope my manager knows what is best for his
project ;-))

Until now i started to do the tutorials, compile some sources etc.
What i would like to know is what wonders and miracles can be done with ANT?

On what ANT-implementations on your project are you really proud of?
Its just to get an idea and vision what can be done with ANT.

Thank you for your attention. I hope in some month i can give you back some
of my new gained knowledge.

Regards,
Matthias (from the lovely and sunny Munich)

Re: ANT visions and best practices

Posted by Mike Castle <da...@ix.netcom.com>.
In article <00...@BusinessOmaha.com>,
DoNOTuseREPLY <us...@ant.apache.org> wrote:
>I am also ANT-green behind-the-ears.  In addition to what has already been
>suggested, you might try Ant Developer's Handbook from SAMS and on

Can't stand that book.

I also got "Java Development With Ant" and I like it MUCH better.  And I do
own both.  Actually, what is funny is how much of ADH actually references
Steve's "Ant in Anger" document.  Of course, I really should have known
better than to buy ANYTHING from SAMS.  Always a mistake.

Save your money and just get Erik's and Steve's if you need to get a book.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

Re: ANT visions and best practices

Posted by DoNOTuseREPLY <Do...@BusinessOmaha.com>.
I am also ANT-green behind-the-ears.  In addition to what has already been
suggested, you might try Ant Developer's Handbook from SAMS and on
otn.oracle.com/oraclemagazine the November/December 2002 and the
January/February 2003 two part "Starting with Ant" article (not really all
that ORACLE) has a real nice quick start set of information.

jimS (info@kjs-a.com)