Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com> on 2013/02/11 15:04:13 UTC

In-browser debugging with Node.js couchjs

I just pushed more work in my nodejs_couchdb branch.

I have a working in-browser GUI debugger. You can set breakpoints, step
through code, inspect data values. This works for any JavaScript code
CouchDB runs: map/reduce functions, validate_doc_update, filters, etc.

I put up some quick screenshots and mp4 screencast to show what it's like:

https://jhs.iriscouch.com/files/debugger/debug.html

I would love to hear feedback from people. What are your thoughts?

Me? I think it shows the power of Node.js. It shows possible opportunity
cost if we do not use it.

Thanks!

--
Iris Couch

Re: In-browser debugging with Node.js couchjs

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 11 February 2013 15:22, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason!
>
> Any possibility to have such feature for other query servers?
> --
> ,,,^..^,,,

Maybe look at komodo IDE which has support for node and python XDBP protocols?

A+
Dave

Re: In-browser debugging with Node.js couchjs

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Monday, February 11, 2013, Alexander Shorin wrote:

> Ah, so how it works. Brilliant!
>
> But am I right, that os_process_limit should be raised for it (long
> debug - long respond time) and there would be hard to locate
> bottlenecks with such technique? Probably, next evolution step should
> have profiler and frames stack tracer features with some backlog for
> post-analysis.

right :) we definitely need an improved protocol to handle thzt and more
concurrency. also maybe using websockets in most parts.

benoƮt

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Ah, so how it works. Brilliant!

--
,,,^..^,,,

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason!

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
Very slick Jason, this is great!

-Russell

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
wohali@apache.org :D :D

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Feb 11, 2013, at 15:04 , Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com> wrote:

> I just pushed more work in my nodejs_couchdb branch.
>
> I have a working in-browser GUI debugger. You can set breakpoints, step
> through code, inspect data values. This works for any JavaScript code
> CouchDB runs: map/reduce functions, validate_doc_update, filters, etc.
>
> I put up some quick screenshots and mp4 screencast to show what it's like:
>
> https://jhs.iriscouch.com/files/debugger/debug.html
>
> I would love to hear feedback from people. What are your thoughts?
>
> Me? I think it shows the power of Node.js. It shows possible opportunity
> cost if we do not use it.

HOLY SHIT THIS IS HOT