Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/20 17:59:04 UTC

Re: How to generate a load of Y number of users using only X number of actual login accounts? (Where X
Hi
you seem to have conflicting requirements. What you are simulating wont be
anything close to what the browser actually does (I believe IE doesn't send
more than 2 requests in parallel to any one domain). you are planning to
have the same session hit the server with multiple threads , which isnt the
workload of 500 users. Lets say each new User Session on the server has a
footprint of 1 MB then your test would only simulate a memory usage of 1Mb
not 500 MB
> (2) I want to simulate a workload of 500 users but do not want to create
500 actual test login accounts.
Unless there is a license issue or something , dont have this restriction.

In any case the only way I can think of is have two thread groups. Configure
your test plan to run your thread groups serially. Login in the first thread
group , extract session id, use beanshell to set this as a Jmeter Property
(not variable)
In the next thread group write your test for n Threads and use the session
id from the property

So
Test Plan (Check Run Thread Groups Consecutively)
    Thread Group 1
       Login Request
          RegEx Extractor for session Id
          Bean Shell listener to set session id as property (read the
variable and set it using the props object)
    Thread Group 2
       Test (Pass session id reading it from property)
${__property(sessionid)}

Ive never tested this btw...

regards
deepak

Re: How to generate a load of Y number of users using only X number of actual login accounts? (Where X Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 20/05/2009, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>  you seem to have conflicting requirements. What you are simulating wont be
>  anything close to what the browser actually does (I believe IE doesn't send
>  more than 2 requests in parallel to any one domain). you are planning to
>  have the same session hit the server with multiple threads , which isnt the
>  workload of 500 users. Lets say each new User Session on the server has a
>  footprint of 1 MB then your test would only simulate a memory usage of 1Mb
>  not 500 MB
>
> > (2) I want to simulate a workload of 500 users but do not want to create
>  500 actual test login accounts.
>
> Unless there is a license issue or something , dont have this restriction.
>
>  In any case the only way I can think of is have two thread groups. Configure
>  your test plan to run your thread groups serially. Login in the first thread
>  group , extract session id, use beanshell to set this as a Jmeter Property
>  (not variable)
>  In the next thread group write your test for n Threads and use the session
>  id from the property
>
>  So
>  Test Plan (Check Run Thread Groups Consecutively)
>     Thread Group 1
>        Login Request
>           RegEx Extractor for session Id
>           Bean Shell listener to set session id as property (read the
>  variable and set it using the props object)

Or use the http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html#__setProperty
function.

>     Thread Group 2
>        Test (Pass session id reading it from property)
>  ${__property(sessionid)}
>
>  Ive never tested this btw...

Should work...