Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2003/12/02 04:52:27 UTC

Archive format for automated upload requests

Howdy,

I now have all the requisite bits and bobs (thanks strachan) for a
little server that can process upload requests in an automated fashion
but I wouldn't mind a little input on the contents of the archive
uploaded and some ideas on the workflow and security related issues.

We can easily make a plugin to assemble the archive so it include the
artifact in a JAR format, the license and whatever else is needed. The
artifact can easily be extracted and pushed to ibiblio along with the
license and anything else we need.

If we can push through this quickly I will get the app up and running
and remove the bottleneck of having the limited number of repo admins
processing the requests. Hopefully this will open the flood gates and
allow anyone who wants to push artifacts into the central repo and this
should also help with pushing POMs into the central repo which will be
required for transitive deps.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Archive format for automated upload requests

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.
> As a start how about:
>
> - project.xml: which can be renamed with the info in the POM itself
> - license file: do we have a standard name for this?
> - artifact to be uploaded
>
> Anything else?
>
> A simple zip/jar file would do as items can be easily extracted.

I think it is almost enough.
For any artifact we need to know it's artifactId, groupId (which are both in
POM) and the type.
So probably we need to do something with "type".
POM v4 has addressed this issues, but we have made the right decision to
postpone any changes in POM.

Michal

Re: Archive format for automated upload requests

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 08:50, Ben Walding wrote:
> Having an app to do uploads: +1
> Allowing anyone to load artifacts with no security measures: -googleplex

There will definitely need to be some security. I wouldn't turn it on
for production mode without it. I've ask some folks and even sent a
message to Counterpane, where Bruce Schneier works, to ask for some
help. But to start maybe a login where a user has registered and
deposited a public key. The the archives can signed and we can check
them when they are submitted.

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
Having an app to do uploads: +1