Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2004/08/02 13:06:03 UTC

Tapestry and hibernate

Thomas Dolby has put forward some of his idea's on using tapestry and
hibernate together (http://www.jroller.com/page/cardsharp/20040728) and I
was wondering what people thought about this.

To be honest I'm not sure I agree with his thoughts on using objects
instead of id's.  Most of the problems I've had when developing my app with
hibernate and tapestry have been related to detached objects causing all
sorts of exceptions.  My most recent thinking was to avoid creating
detached objects by using id's in preference to persistent objects.  It's
usually not too much work to retrieve the object given the id and hibernate
is pretty efficient about it.

What have other people found?  Which approach is better?

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

RE: Tapestry and hibernate

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fi...@stubkjaer-adamsen.dk>.
AFAIK, a proxied object's lazily initialized collections are not serialized,
so this might not be a problem.

Posted by Scott Ellsworth <sc...@alodar.com>.

Re: Tapestry and hibernate

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Yeah, I'm sure there are scenarios where using the fully inflated
object would not be ideal.   But, this is more of an issue with the
component (and ie's handling of long urls), not the whole framework.

e.

Re: Tapestry and hibernate

Posted by "Ido M. Tamir" <ta...@imp.univie.ac.at>.
On Monday 02 August 2004 17:10, Eric Schneider wrote:

> I'd also have to agree with Thomas Dolby's suggestions on
> Tapestry/Hibernate development.  Passing around object ids instead of
> fully inflated objects exposes your pks and waters down the usefulness
> of Tapestry.

But if you use the contrib:table component and try to create a link to a

Re: Tapestry and hibernate

Posted by Eric Schneider <er...@centralparksoftware.com>.
> The biggest issue is the loose coupling of hibernate with tapestry.
> I'm waiting to find a good support for Cayenne in Spring (which I am
> not using on nowadays' project) so that I can transparently replace
> hibernate by cayenne and vice versa anyday I want (I prefer Cayenne,
> even though I think Hibernate is great)

Spring support for Cayenne is definitely on the way.

Re: Tapestry and hibernate

Posted by Cyril Godefroy <cy...@ecomposite.fr>.

RE: Tapestry and hibernate

Posted by "Filip S. Adamsen" <fi...@stubkjaer-adamsen.dk>.