Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2005/03/03 21:00:57 UTC

Inactive committers

The XML charter ( see http://xml.apache.org/mission.html ) under which the
Apache Xalan project, and other Apache projects run says things like this:
<< ... and ask for a vote of all xml.apache.org active committers ... >>

and this:
<<
8.3 Committers remain active as long as they are contributing code or
posting to the subproject mailing lists.  If a committers has neither
contributed code nor posted to the subproject mailing lists in 3
months, the PMC representatives for that subproject will e-mail the
committer, the subproject development list, and the PMC mailing list
notifying the committer that they are going to be moved to inactive
status.  If there is no response in 72 hours, the committer will become
inactive.

Clearly Apache Xalan hasn't been following this either. In my spare cycles
I'm trying to come up with an automated way to scrub the mailing lists, and
JIRA ..., to find out who has been active in the last 3 months.  Then I can
start to fulfill my duty as an Apache PMC member to send notifications out
that someone has moved to inactive status.

Being an inactive committer is not a big deal, one can always become active
by making some sort of contribution, even answering a question on the
mailing list. I think the issue is that if you are in inactive status at
the time a vote is called, like on a new charter, you shouldn't be in the
list of those who can vote.

- Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian Minchau
Apache Xalan PMC Chairperson
e-mail:        minchau@ca.ibm.com

"You want it today? Sorry, I thought tomorrow would be yesterday and I
still had more time." - My daughter Jennifer

----- Forwarded by Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM on 03/03/2005 02:46 PM -----

             Arnaud Le Hors
             <lehors@us.ibm.co
                                       xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
             03/03/2005 02:20                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Xerces PMC
             Please respond to
               xerces-j-dev

Michael Glavassevich wrote:

>As far as I know,
>we've never sent out notifications though there are a number of committers

>who appear to have had years of inactivity.

I've never seen this being done either (in 5 years). I'm sure a lot of
people probably don't even care about their committer's privilege but
are still listed. It would probably be worth doing some cleanup.

>>Would you still like xerces-j-dev@ anad xerces-j-user@ (these will be
>>changed from @xml.apache.org to @xerces.apache.org)?
>>

>I think there's still enough activity on both lists to keep them separate.

I for one am still interested to see what's going on on the dev list
(admitedly out of pure curiosity at this point - I guess mostly to see
how the baby is doing :-) but I've no interest in the users list.
--

Arnaud

--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM, On Demand Operating Environment Standards