Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be> on 2002/08/18 16:12:58 UTC

about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Thanks Peter, for your message that makes things move forward.  I'm
adding some comments about the specific item of javadocs.  First, I must
say that I agree with 2 comments from Noel:

> Internal Documentation
> Absolutely necessary. But NOT to hold up the 2.1 release. We can continue
> to upgrade the web site with new documentation, and any serious developer
> should be working from the CVS

and

Peter M. Goldstein wrote:

>Internal Documentation
>
>I know some people tend to dismiss internal documentation, but I don't
>see how a project that is seeking to attract developers can function
>without it.  As such I tend to include it in the exit criteria for a
>particular release.
>
>1) All methods and instance variables should be documented.  All classes
>should be documented.  The documentation doesn't need to be extensive,
>but it should be present.  It should include issues such as class/method
>contracts and threading restrictions where appropriate.
>2) All public and protected classes, methods, and variables need to be
>documented using Javadoc style to ensure appropriate Javadoc
>3) The Javadoc should build without warnings
>4) All packages should have package documentation

Peter, I'd like to modify a bit your suggestion.  From my experience (15
years of OO software developement), doc should be reduced to the minimum
(and I find XP discussions about documenting the code quite appropriate
to modern developments).  Some ideas:

    * code is the only thing that really lives; it changes often
      (writing docs is time consuming and is very difficult to keep in
      sync with the code; and out of sync doc is useless, and may even
      lead you to wrong assumptions...)
    * the code (at the class/method level) should be self explicit: if
      you need doc to explain code, think about rewriting code to make
      it more explicit; also, good developers read code almost as easily
      as the doc (if the code is good, of course)
    * doc is very useful at the package level: "what does this package
      contain, where to look first" (important classes and methods
      should be mentionned)
    * important classes/methods may need some doc
    * important here meaning "part of an API, important for external
      developers" or "part of the basic building blocks of the system,
      that all developers should be comfortable with"

I really don't want to start a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons
of documentation (see the forum related to that), but I believe that
docs should not get in the way of developing fast (especially on a
volunteer basis, with restrained resources).  And I am convinced that it
won't hurt the project's perennity...

Just my 2 cents (and I hope I did not offense you, Peter).

--
!try; do()

Re: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Well said Peter.  If your on Advogoto I'd love to upgrade you.

-Andy

PS... very offtopic
Furthermore de-emphasizing documentation is one of my key beefs with XP.
While I hate 300 page specs, I hate 0 page ones too.

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.ne.jp>.
Hi, Andy and all.

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:21:42 -0400
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> To be honest Tetsuya, it makes me scared to use it.  Javadoc to me is so
> basic and takes so little time, to actually argue against it...  To me
> this is the same as an argument to write variables a1, a2, a3... Its
> code quality.  This is an active argument for poor code quality and I
> can't believe this is controversial!

I know your feelings, but it seems that it is the difference of
"where and when to put our milestones" things.
For example, "our objectives at version 2.1 are not necessary
complete javadocs, but at version 3.0, complete javadocs are
necessary" ... I think (for example) this is possible.

--

I agreed with Noel's opinion, "But javadocs for developers is not a
reason to hold end users hostage", because this matter also applies

That's why I love the Noel's sentence.

Regards,

-- Tetsuya Kitahata <ki...@bb.mbn.or.jp>

Re: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Andrew,

If you feel there's something glaringly wrong that should be improved,
patches are always greatly welcome.

For my money, the only thing that should hold up a release is a volunteer
saying they will fix something but won't have it ready until date X.  Beyond
that, changelogs go out with all the contributors and committers names on
them... believe me, they're not looking to put out a bad product and just
are trying to find a balance.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.ne.jp>.

Re: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Stephen,
>
>>> To more knowledgeable heads than I,
>>>
>>> Noel and I have been looking at the nightly build process and are a
>>> little disturbed by the fact that:
>>>
>>> i) It is failing
>>> ii) It is failing without notifying james-dev
>>>

>> This explains a lot.  With no notification of failures, the Avalon
>> Community have been moving along in ignorant bliss (relative to the
>> James Commnity).  Over the last few days that has been discussion
>> concerning inconsitencies in Cornerstone jar brough about by some
>> recent testing I've been doing of James using the Avalon CVS builds
>> of Cornerstone. With gump working we would have spotted the issue
>> months ago.
>>
>> Getting this back in place would be really good becuse you can
>> validate that the Avalon Community are not braking anything as a
>> result of maintainance and service development.
>

> Err not true dude.  The problem exists because casting (I think) which
> neither gump nor a guy doing 'ant clean, ant dist' can test for.

I stand corrected!  A pure Gump run will only pick up compile time issues.
However, a unit test on someting link the SMTP server will catch this
sort of issue.  Aside from that - getting in some unit tests on
individual Cornersone components could be highly valuable - I have a
sneaking suspision that the errors I'm seeing in the James runtime
testing are unrelated to James code and actually concern the file
persistence in the cornerston/store package - but its unconfirmed at
this stage.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Stephen,

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
I wrote,
> >But the point of Gump is that it tests the domain level build by building
> >every part of the domain from scratch.
Steve replied,
> Which from my point of view is the really valuble thing

Mine too, as a newcomer to the ideas of domain engineering I can totally
subscribe to the principles of Gump, and seeing Avalon as a provider of
domain commonalities, and James as an expression of variability, I can see
how the domain level build testing of Gump would help accelerate the
handling of James/Avalon issues.

I'm not sure what to do about Gump/James, but I do know where to start
poking around..

d.

Re: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Danny Angus wrote:

>>Again, personally, I would not want James to build against the Phoenix
>>nightly builds.  I'd prefer that it build against the snapshot
>>that is part
>>of James.
>>

>But the point of Gump is that it tests the domain level build by building
>every part of the domain from scratch.

Which from my point of view is the really valuble thing - validation the
Avalon Framework, Excalibur Xxxx, Cornerstone component Xxxx, Phoenix,
etc. are all in sync - and delivering what your expecting.  It goes a
long way in providing the James community much more specific information
about a problem - information that is sufficient for the Avalon
community to react appropriately if a problem does occur.  If the same
thing were put in place with Cocoon the we (Avalon Land) would have a
rather nice early warning process in place.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> But thats the point isn't it? Gump isn't just there to make nightly
builds.

That isn't what I understood previously, so this is enlightening.  :-)

> Of course if you'd asked on the list you could have been told. :-)

I refer you to the start of this thread: a message was posted to the list
saying that we had noticed that the Nighly Builds weren't working, and
asking questions.  And answers have been posted.

	--- Noel

RE: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Fair enough.  I would not have gotten that from the description of Nightly
> Build.

But thats the point isn't it? Gump isn't just there to make nightly builds.

> This comfirms what I said to Peter

What did you say to Peter? *please* don't refer, in an offhand way, to
conversations we haven't all been privy to.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> the premis of Gump, as I understand it, that it encourages
> continuous integration within the jakarta domain.

Fair enough.  I would not have gotten that from the description of Nightly
Build.

> Its certainly reasonable to suggest a self-contained nightly build of
James,
> the problem is resources, the apache machines ('cept nagoya) run BSD so we
> can't build on them, therefore someone needs to donate the build location.

Thanks for explaining this, Danny.  :-)

> I changed build.xml to put the downloads into a directory that can be
scp'ed
> across by a single command to make automatic releases easier, and I have a
> "clean" machine that I build releases on ...

This comfirms what I said to Peter about how I thought the earlier builds
had been done.  You did them on a clean machine, and posted them back up.
(a) thanks, (b) how can anyone help?

	--- Noel

RE: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Noel wrote,

> > But the point of Gump is that it tests the domain level build
> by building
> > every part of the domain from scratch.
>
> That assumes that the domain is evolving in synch, and is intended to be
> released in synch.  It works great for a domain level project, but that's
> not necessarily the case.

No, but it is the premis of Gump, as I understand it, that it encourages
continuous integration within the jakarta domain.

<snipped dull comment from self/>

> From that perspective, I could see two nightly builds: a domain
> level build,
> and the other a build of James against the components that it is
> intended to
> work with.

Its certainly reasonable to suggest a self-contained nightly build of James,
the problem is resources, the apache machines ('cept nagoya) run BSD so we
can't build on them, therefore someone needs to donate the build location.

I changed build.xml to put the downloads into a directory that can be scp'ed
across by a single command to make automatic releases easier, and I have a
"clean" machine that I build releases on, but I wouldn't like James to rely
on it, as its continued presence is outwith my control.
I would also be wary of entrusting my apache password or keys to a machine
on which there are other people with root.

Hence the reason I instigated the "latest" directory, to make builds
available at random when it seems worthwhile, and that aren't deleted by
someones cron job.
Anyone is welcome to cajole us into putting a new version in latest.

d.

RE: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> But the point of Gump is that it tests the domain level build by building
> every part of the domain from scratch.

That assumes that the domain is evolving in synch, and is intended to be
released in synch.  It works great for a domain level project, but that's
not necessarily the case.

> a newcomer to the ideas of domain engineering I can totally
> subscribe to the principles of Gump, and seeing Avalon as a
> provider of domain commonalities, and James as an expression
> of variability, I can see how the domain level build testing
> of Gump would help accelerate the handling of James/Avalon issues.

>From that perspective, I could see two nightly builds: a domain level build,
and the other a build of James against the components that it is intended to
work with.

At some point a project with dependencies needs to freeze the dependencies.
You can't just take their latest CVS.

	--- Noel

RE: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> This explains a lot.  With no notification of failures, the Avalon
> Community have been moving along in ignorant bliss (relative to the
> James Commnity).

There are Avalon developers here on this mailing list aware of what is going
on.  Some months ago, Paul Hammant kindly offered to keep James going well
with Phoenix, and to be responsible for changing the James infrastructure to
match changes in Phoenix; he was made a James committer for this purpose.
James has its own snapshot of Phoenix, allowing James and Phoenix to evolve
at their own pace.

Apparently, there was a decision made half a year ago to eliminate the
Component interface in favor of A-Better-Way.  Because of some ... shall we
say "anemia" ... in the Mailet v1 API, there are Mailets that must get at
non-Mailet API functionality.  They do that by requesting the
ComponentManager via MailetContext.getAttribute(), and going on from there.
It is not a problem to migrate the James code, but Paul has expressed
concern about third-party mailets (outside of the scope of the CVS).

My proposal is that Paul remove dependency upon the Component interface
within Jame's code, and support foreign matchers/mailets as follows.  The
only documented way for a matcher/mailet to get the component manager is via
a specific mechanism, and the set of components is limited.  We can provide
our own Component code that lies (and wraps) as necessary, until we can drop
that code entirely.  James' stock matchers/mailets would show how to make
the transition.

Personally, I have no problem with Phoenix continuing to evolve, given that
they've accepted responsibility for converting James along.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Peter M. Goldstein wrote:

>To more knowledgeable heads than I,
>
>Noel and I have been looking at the nightly build process and are a
>little disturbed by the fact that:
>
>i) It is failing
>ii) It is failing without notifying james-dev

This explains a lot.  With no notification of failures, the Avalon
Community have been moving along in ignorant bliss (relative to the
James Commnity).  Over the last few days that has been discussion
concerning inconsitencies in Cornerstone jar brough about by some recent
testing I've been doing of James using the Avalon CVS builds of
Cornerstone. With gump working we would have spotted the issue months ago.

Getting this back in place would be really good becuse you can validate
that the Avalon Community are not braking anything as a result of
maintainance and service development.

>See the nightly build report here:
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/jakarta-james.html
>
>After examining the definition file here,
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/module_jakarta-james.html
>
>it is very clear that this definition is pretty far out of date.  Among
>other things, the file refers to a James.bar, which if I recall
>correctly was the predecessor to the current James.sar.  So the file
>needs to be updated.

Its also out-of-date relative some restructuring that took place of the
Excalibur project.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
The gump descriptors are part of Gump which is a proposal in the Alexandria
project. You can locate the descriptor by looking in cvs at

jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/projects/jakarta-james.xml

And send questions, diffs and patches to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org
mailing list.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>To more knowledgeable heads than I,
>
>Noel and I have been looking at the nightly build process and are a
>little disturbed by the fact that:
>
>i) It is failing
>ii) It is failing without notifying james-dev
>
>See the nightly build report here:
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/jakarta-james.html
>
>After examining the definition file here,
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/module_jakarta-james.html
>
>it is very clear that this definition is pretty far out of date.  Among
>other things, the file refers to a James.bar, which if I recall
>correctly was the predecessor to the current James.sar.  So the file
>needs to be updated.

No, the bar (block archive) was simply replaced with jar.  bars (now
jars) sit inside sars.

>The build is currently failing because of unnecessary dependencies -
>James builds off snapshots of the assorted Avalon subprojects and hence
>does not need those project builds to succeed.  So the dependency
>entries need to be updated.
>
>I'm willing to volunteer to do the jakarta-james.xml file update.  My
>big problem is that I don't know where the file is, and I don't think I
>have write-access to it.  I'd like to get one of the Apache elders to
>give me a hand with this.  As Peter Donald is listed in the nag tag, I'm
>cc'ing him on this email.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/project/jakarta-james.xml I think.

- Paul

Re: Jakarta James Nightly Build

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Danny Angus wrote:

>the problem is that Avalon isn't building, in particular
>http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/jakarta-avalon-excalibur.html

Generalization isn't a good thing!
James has depedencies on a set of the Excalibur projects - not all of
Excalibur.  What is needed is that the James gumjp description is
specific about the paricular Excalibur projects that James requires.
 After all - Exalibur contains a lot of things that vary from new,
exciting and alpha, through to dull boring and stable.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Vincent Keunen wrote:
> > First, I must say that I agree with 2 comments from Noel:
> > > Internal Documentation
> > > Absolutely necessary. But NOT to hold up the 2.1 release. We can
continue
> > > to upgrade the web site with new documentation, and any serious
developer
> > > should be working from the CVS
> You wouldn't release Documentation with no code would you?
> Why would you release code with no documentation?  If documentation
> isn't a condition for release, you'll never do it.

Everyone is agreeing that the documentation is necessary.  But javadocs for
developers is not a reason to hold end users hostage.  The psychology is
backwards.  The documentation is getting done, but telling developers who
can get the current code from the CVS that there won't be a user release
until there is developer documentation is not going to incent them to do
javadocs.  If they don't care, they don't care, and they aren't the ones
being held hostage by this false incentive.  Fortunately, Peter has both
time and interest, and he is doing a great job of updating the internal
documentation.

>> javadocs are for developers. I view 2.1 as a RELEASE build for users.
>> Yes, we need to work on the javadocs, but I would not wait for them
>> before putting out a stable release build if we can do so.

> retranslate:  "Code quality is not important"

Overly simplistic software cliche.  2.1 is superior in all ways to 2.0a3,
including javadocs (albiet incomplete).

Ironically, I just answered a question from someone who downloaded 2.0a3
over a week ago, and ran into the erroneous end user documentation.
Releasing 2.1, which has CORRECT documentation would have saved that person
10 days of grief.  Sure, it would have saved me the 30 seconds it took to
reply, but it would have saved him 10 days.

At the least, I do not see any reason not to replace 2.1a1 with a 2.1a2
Milestone Build based upon what we have now, and invite end users to help
out with the user documentation.  The CVS HEAD currently fills all the
criteria necessary for a Milestone Build.

	--- Noel

Re: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Vincent Keunen wrote:
> Thanks Peter, for your message that makes things move forward.  I'm
> adding some comments about the specific item of javadocs.  First, I must
> say that I agree with 2 comments from Noel:
>
>> Internal Documentation
>> Absolutely necessary. But NOT to hold up the 2.1 release. We can continue
>> to upgrade the web site with new documentation, and any serious developer
>> should be working from the CVS

I disagree. You wouldn't release Documentation with no code would you?
Why would you release code with no documentation?  If documentation
isn't a condition for release, you'll never do it.  So say what you mean
"Absolutely someone else...the mythical someone else..should document
JAMES, but quality is not important to me so I'd rather get it out the
door undocumented and hope the mythical someone else comes along"

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> how long did it take you to find a class to use as an example,
> or did you just go down the left nav in alphabetical order?

About 30 seconds.  I just picked at random from the nav bar.

> some of the committers of POI would like a policy of
> requiring a unit test per class before release!

A good idea.  Something that we all ought to be doing.

> I'll NEVER understand your position that javadoc isn't
> important enough to hold up a formal release.

Fact: 2.0a3 is listed as a Release Build.
Fact: 2.1a1 improves upon 2.0a3.

	--- Noel

Re: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> James' code isn't undocumented, but there are various uncommented members,
> so Peter is trying to complete the documentation.  The same can be said of
> org.apache.poi.  For example, AbstractFunctionPtg is missing javadocs for a
> number of members.

I'll bite...

While this is a tad offtopic...

<soap-box>

For one, some of the members are deliberately uncommented (I don't do
inherited members as the javadoc will override the parent's).

However, POI will not have a release with formulas enabled by default
until its fixed.  It will have "development builds" (alphas or
"milestones") until then, but thats it.  Why: its not of release
quality.  As evidence, formula support is still in early beta.

So Noel, how long did it take you to find a class to use as an example,
or did you just go down the left nav in alphabetical order? That one is
a few layers deep and in the most beta of code!  I'm impressed at your
resolve!  If you can find others I'll make a list of them and make sure
I catch them all before +1'ing our next release.

To take THAT a step further, some of the committers of POI would like a
policy of requiring a unit test per class before release!  That will
likely pass for our 3.0 release.  We'll probably need a few enhancements
to Centipede to support "test-first" a little better before we draft that.

Just FYI, the policy on this is covered here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/resolutions/res001.html

and more or less here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html

Its a quality thing.

</soapbox>

Anyhow, I'm just a guy trying to make hide or hair of james.  My opinion
shouldn't count for much, but I'll NEVER understand your position that
javadoc isn't important enough to hold up a formal release.  (I already
said milestone and dev releases are reasonable, but I don't think YOU
gave it a close read)

Thanks,

Andy

Re: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I will write Javadocs as I come to understand what the heck things are
(this is of course is a chicken and the egg proposition).

My interest is more in creating an M$ Exchange protocol replacement.
But its a ways out and first IMAP needs to get up to snuff.

-Andy

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.ne.jp>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
consider yourself upgraded in my book! ;-)

RE: Bizzarre new bug...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
I'm lost.  What is the problem?  "? is being changed to ?"

As for the message body being recycled, isn't that what happens (not looking
at the code) when a new Mail object is created for a given subset of
recipients?

I'm sorry, but I really have no idea what this is about.

	--- Noel

? is being changed to ? in mail handled by James, in particular the message
body is being re-cycled into a new message.

Odd.
d.

Bizzarre new bug...

Re: James End User Documentation

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On this we can all agree...  wikis are very powerful tools for
generating documentation.  I'm very impressed with the progress made on
the Cocoon wiki.  Stephen Noles (sp?) will be very suprised when he gets
back from vacation.

-Andy

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: James End User Documentation

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> You did.  :-)  My question was about soliciting documentation
> contributions.

solicit away.

RE: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > Would you mind if a message went out on James-User [asking]
> > them for contributions towards the [user] documentation?

> That should wait until we have a release plan

OK

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Thank you.  Would you mind if a message went out on James-User
> telling folks
> that we're working towards a new Release Build, and asking them for
> contributions towards the documentation?  They could contribute
> actual bits
> of documentation, or just questions that they are having trouble with.

That should wait until we have a release plan, and are happy that we have a
release candiidate, which we can release for testing and annouce the planned
release.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > If 2.1aX is an improvement, as we all seem to believe
> > that it is

> We don't, or at least _I_ didn't until two days ago

I didn't think so either, until recently.  And I'm NOT saying that it is
ready today, either, because there ARE issues that should be resolved before
the Release Build.  The question is what are the items to be done to get it
that way.  That was the question Peter raised in his initial post, and the
question you raised again in your post of a few minutes ago.  :-)

> the user documentation and open bugs (still being actively discussed)

Both are things that I agree need to be addressed.

> IMHO 2.1.1 is *not* an improvement until the documentation that
> accompanies it is of an acceptable standard to at least avoid
> leading people astray, even if it isn't actually helpful.

Agreed.

> If you're refering to a milestone, its already been made.

Thank you.  Would you mind if a message went out on James-User telling folks
that we're working towards a new Release Build, and asking them for
contributions towards the documentation?  They could contribute actual bits
of documentation, or just questions that they are having trouble with.

I'll post up an example of multiple mailing lists so that people can see
what needs to be done for EACH new mailing list.  The current documentation
isn't clear on that (in fact, mine works but perhaps I missed a point).
Should such contributions be posted to James-Dev or James-User?

> I don't believe that we javadocs are a showstopper, but neither do I
believe
> that they should be swept under the carpet.

That is exactly what I have been saying, Danny.  No one is sweeping javadocs
under the carpet, or deferring them.  They are being worked on actively.
Andrew has been arguing vociferously that they are a showstopper, and that's
the point of disagreement.

	--- Noel

RE: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Exactly.  The CVS has corrected documentation that should be made
> available
> to the user community.

Up to date documentation is available on the website, this is common
practice.
Unless we seperate the release of docs from code its unavoidable, not least
because we're bound to increment release numbers by the jakarta standards we
can't patch a release once its been made, and incrementing release numbers
to patch docs would lead to a flood of email asking us what exactly had
changed in the product..

> The fact remains that 2.0a3 is out there as a Release Build.  For
> better or
> for worse.  If 2.1aX is an improvement, as we all seem to believe
> that it is

No, actually we don't, or at least _I_ didn't until two days ago, and even
then there are still the user documentation and open bugs (still being
actively discussed) to be dealt with notwithstanding the javadocs. IMHO
2.1.1 is *not* an improvement until the documentation that accompanies it is
of an acceptable standard to at least avoid leading people astray, even if
it isn't actually helpful.

> (or is close to being), then it should be put out as the next incremental
> step on the road.

If you're refering to a milestone, its already been made.

I don't believe that we javadocs are a showstopper, but neither do I believe
that they should be swept under the carpet.
Once the precendent has been establised to defer unpopular tasks it is hard
to instil any urgency in them.
I believe that we should certainly be considering the javadocs when we vote,
as well as the user docs, website and functionality.
What emphasis each commiter gives to that will be reflected in their vote.

d.

RE: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > how to setup a database URL (which is correct in the
> > CVS, and wrong in the current download).

> If this is the case it because the docs have been fixed.

Exactly.  The CVS has corrected documentation that should be made available
to the user community.

> you should only consider the relevance of the stable "release"
> versions' documentation

I was refering to 2.0a3, which IS the latest "stable Release Build."

> Furthermore James has never released a Beta quality version yet,

Perhaps not, but in Apache terminology, James 2.0a3 is a Release Build.  If
you are saying that James should never have had a Release, only a Milestone,
I won't argue the point.

> I subscribe to Andy's opinion that James is hard for a new user to get
> started with ...

So do I.  But that has to do with end user documentation, not javadocs,
except for the headers on Matchers & Mailets that contain samples, which
I've been fixing as I spot them.

On the one hand, Andy is taking an all-or-nothing position on javadocs (if
we don't have them all, we have nothing); on the other hand, he said "If I
weren't a semi-decent Java developer I couldn't even set up JAMES."

Contrary to his accusations, I've recently found, fixed and documented
various issues involving the spooler (locking, the mysterious NPE, the
reason why a message might no longer be in the spool after accept() gives it
to you); the potential for an infinite loop involving Forward;
address-literals; discrepancies between RFCs and the size of database
fields; and more.  Fortunately, I have a sense of humor.

> a +1 vote for a release binds the voter to support that release

A good policy.  :-)  I've been doing that even without a vote.  And that's
why I want to see a new release, because it will be easier to support.

As for the javadocs, I agree with everything you said about the value of
code documentation.  In every case, everyone says that it is important, no
one has said anything about not documenting or slowing documentation.  The
only issue is whether or not to update what is currently published with what
is available.  It is a matter of improvement while continuing towards
perfection.

The fact remains that 2.0a3 is out there as a Release Build.  For better or
for worse.  If 2.1aX is an improvement, as we all seem to believe that it is
(or is close to being), then it should be put out as the next incremental
step on the road.  Andy views that statement as tantamount to dismissing
javadocs as worthless.  I view his approach as being roughly the same as
saying my transmission needs an overhaul so I'll skip the oil changes until
I can afford to pay for the major service.  Both things need to be done, and
are continuing apace.

	--- Noel

RE: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Undocumented non-quality code is NOT pragmatic... in fact:
> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/cgi-local/pragprog?FailureHowTo

I like how you imply that the James is undocumented and non-quality just
because an effort is being made to improve the quality and consistency of
the comments.

James' code isn't undocumented, but there are various uncommented members,
so Peter is trying to complete the documentation.  The same can be said of
org.apache.poi.  For example, AbstractFunctionPtg is missing javadocs for a
number of members.

The wiki you pointed to says "Write no JavaDoc (for instance) or any
documentation whatsoever."  It doesn't apply.  No one ever said "don't do
documentation."

> Javadoc to me is so basic and takes so little time, to
> actually argue against it...

Are you actually reading these messages, or responding to some imagined
offense?  No one has argued against writing javadocs, which is an active,
on-going process.  The only issue is whether or not to wait for that process
to finish before we update an old, out-of-date, package with a new package
that fixes bugs in both code and documentation that are causing problems for
people on a daily basis.

> To me this is the same as an argument to write variables a1, a2, a3

This kind of hyperbole suggests that you're really reacting to something
unrelated to anything actually going on here.  Some projects from your past,
perhaps.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> No, I'm pragmatic and you just don't like it.  This isn't about some ivory
> tower notion of what makes good code.  This is about lots of James users who
> are stuck using buggy code and bad documention while we sit here using the
> good stuff and arguing over when to deliver it to them.
>

>>What good is a release to a user if he can't make hide nor hair of it?
>>If I weren't a semi-decent Java developer I couldn't even set up JAMES.
>

> I agree with you, but what does this have to do with javadocs, Andy?  Talk
> about end user documentation and we'd be agreeing, because what good are
> javadocs to the average user?

Its the whole package.  Code complete.  You're not pragmatic.
Undocumented non-quality code is NOT pragmatic... in fact:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/cgi-local/pragprog?FailureHowTo

Fine to release a development build, but don't lie and call something a
release, you do everyone a disservice.

-Andy

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Yeah, I don't see a problem with that.  its with an actual release.

New "latest" build available

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
There is now a new dated build of the HEAD of CVS in
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-james/latest/
This is a snapshot of recent changes for evaluation, and should not be
considered to be a stable release.

d.

Re: What do we need to release 2.1

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I'm willing to set up a wiki for james on my server if needed.  I'd do
it on jakarta.apache.org but I don't believe we have a cgi-bin
directory.  If there is consensus on this let me know and I'll be happy
to do it.

What do we need to release 2.1

New "latest" build available

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I totally disagree with just about everything Noel said except for the
> end.

> As long as everyone understands that documentation is as important as
> code and that poorly documented code is just pure rat dung.

> Code complete, means docs too.

That may be your philosophy, and it might even be one that I share.  But
we're not the ones being screwed.  The end users are.  You want to incent
developers, find another way.  But I suggest that at the moment, Peter is
doing a great job of fixing years of neglect.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I totally disagree with just about everything Noel said except for the
end.  Development builds "milestone builds" or whatever, should not be
delayed for quality concerns.  It just can't be blessed as a release.

As long as everyone understands that documentation is as important as
code and that poorly documented code is just pure rat dung.  IF you
don't Javadoc, you are a crappy no good developer.  Code complete, means
docs too.

Noel, you're wrong, once releases are the "gold standard" developers
care.  What good is a release to a user if he can't make hide nor hair
of it?  If I weren't a semi-decent Java developer I couldn't even set up
JAMES.  That puts JAMES a bit behind most other mail servers.  If a
developer doesn't care about that, then there isn't much he could care
about.  I've seen projects where the documentation was tied to the
*real* release and the developers DID care.

-Andy

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Peter,

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.