Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Bryan Call <br...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/19 22:32:52 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Removing logs collation support in 7.0.0

There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!

An alternative solution to log collation is to log to a pipe and have an external process take care of log collation.  Here is the documentation for log collation:
https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/monitoring/logging/log-collation.en.html <https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/monitoring/logging/log-collation.en.html>

The proposal is to remove the configurations options, statistics, and code for log collation.

Thank you,

-Bryan

RE: [PROPOSAL] Removing logs collation support in 7.0.0

Posted by "McClimont, Aaron (SACE)" <Aa...@sa.gov.au>.
A late vote of +1 to keep log collation.

Regards,
Aaron McClimont

From: Phil Sorber <sorber@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>>
Date: Monday, August 22, 2016 at 11:29 AM
To: "users@trafficserver.apache.org
<ma...@trafficserver.apache.org>"
<users@trafficserver.apache.org
<ma...@trafficserver.apache.org>>,
"dev@trafficserver.apache.org
<ma...@trafficserver.apache.org>"
<dev@trafficserver.apache.org
<ma...@trafficserver.apache.org>>

+0

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM James Peach <jpeach@apache.org
<ma...@apache.org>> wrote:

On Aug 19, 2016, at 3:32 PM, Bryan Call <bryan.call@gmail.com
<ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

I thought I thoughi I already replied with similar substance as Leif.
This helped a lot when we started with ATS. It does have bugs an
misbehaviors (eg. orphan file handling), but I don¹t think the
maintenance burden is very high. +0

Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing logs collation support in 7.0.0

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Hunter <st...@gmail.com>.
It seems,if you move,these applications ,there's no way to download ,and
operate any downloads .,Because only the sending system has the download
configured.,So,sending any configuration with this app requires it to be
attached rather than from the download.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "THOTA, REKHA" <rt...@att.com>.

Posted by "THOTA, REKHA" <rt...@att.com>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shrihari Kalkar <Sh...@riverbed.com>.
Thanks guys! I would like to vote +1 to keep this feature around.

Posted by Shrihari Kalkar <Sh...@riverbed.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shrihari Kalkar <Sh...@riverbed.com>.

Posted by Shrihari Kalkar <Sh...@riverbed.com>.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
There are a few bugs that are opened around log collation.  However, I don’t think any are major issues.  Your feedback is very important in the decision on whether to keep this feature.

Simple search on bugs with “collation” in them:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-966?filter=12338253&jql=project%20%3D%20TS%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20text%20~%20%22collation%22%20ORDER%20BY%20status%20DESC%2C%20updatedDate%20DESC <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-966?filter=12338253&jql=project%20=%20TS%20AND%20resolution%20=%20Unresolved%20AND%20text%20~%20%22collation%22%20ORDER%20BY%20status%20DESC,%20updatedDate%20DESC>

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shrihari Kalkar <Sh...@riverbed.com>.
Hey guys,

From: Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>>