Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mendez Yanes, Jose Ignacio" <ji...@indra.es> on 2007/03/08 11:32:53 UTC

JSP Specification

Hi !!

I got this error when I startup tomcat:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.10
08-mar-2007 11:21:11 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
validateJarFile
INFO:
validateJarFile(D:\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\webapps\octs\WEB-INF\lib\j2ee.ja
r) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending
class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class

I dont get any error at my developing local environment (WSSD) when
testing my web app.

I dont know where to get information about "Servlet Spec 2.3, section
9.7.2.".

I have removed the library and the error has not appear anymore but I
dont know if that is the solution since I dont know the spec I 2.3
section 9.7.2

Thanx in advance

RE: JSP Specification

Posted by "Mendez Yanes, Jose Ignacio" <ji...@indra.es>.
OK,

THANX, that was what I thought but I wasn't sure because I hadnt be able to read the specs.

Greetz

> INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.10
> 08-mar-2007 11:21:11 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> validateJarFile
> INFO:
> validateJarFile(D:\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\webapps\octs\WEB-INF\lib\j2ee.
> ja
> r) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending
> class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
>
> I dont get any error at my developing local environment (WSSD) when
> testing my web app.
>
> I dont know where to get information about "Servlet Spec 2.3, section
> 9.7.2.".

You'll find links to the Servlet specs here:
http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html#specs
or more specific the download page for the 2.3 spec:
http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr053/

> I have removed the library and the error has not appear anymore but I
> dont know if that is the solution since I dont know the spec I 2.3
> section 9.7.2

That is the solution. Tomcat already provides an implementation of javax.servlet.Servlet. By adding a jar also containing an implementation of javax.servlet.Servlet you try to override Tomcat's version - which is what the cited part of the spec forbids.

Regards
  mks

Re: JSP Specification

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.