Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org> on 2021/08/02 17:54:14 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Releases after 4.0

Where did we land on this? Joey's statement above:

> * 4.0: Fully supported until April 2023 and high severity bugs until April
> 2024 (2 year full, 1 year bugfix)
> * 3.11: Fully supported until April 2022 and high severity bugs until
> April 2023 (1 year full, 1 year bugfix)
> * 3.0: Supported for high severity correctness/performance bugs until
> April 2022 (1 year bugfix)
> * 2.2+2.1: EOL immediately.
> Then going forward we could have this nice pattern when we cut the yearly
> release:
> Y(n-0): Support for 3 years from now (2 full, 1 bugfix)
> Y(n-1): Fully supported for 1 more year and supported for high severity
> correctness/perf bugs 1 year after that (1 full, 1 bugfix)
> Y(n-2): Supported for high severity correctness/bugs for 1 more year (1
> bugfix)

Doesn't look like it matches what we have on the site:
 https://cassandra.apache.org/_/download.html

Apache Cassandra 2.2
> Released on 2020-11-04, and supported until 4.1 release (April 2022) with
> critical fixes only.

Also - do we need to revise our dates from April 2022 to July 2022 to
reflect when GA hit?

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
Awesome - thanks Benjamin. What's the story with 2.2 EOL vs. critical only?

For what my .02 is worth, the stated "critical only to <month> 2022" seems
both sustainable for us as a community and better for our users given the
heavy lift that is updating to 3.0 or 3.11 for many users.d

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

> So to answer to your question Josh: Yes we need to update the dates to
> July.
> I also promised to put the Roadmap on the website and I will do it as soon
> as I can. If somebody else wants to do it, it is fine for me too.

Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the date to when the feature freeze
on trunk was lifted and 4.0 was branched?
That was done on the 1st May.

(Also thinking that May is also better than July, regarding Summer
holidays.)

Re: [DISCUSS] Releases after 4.0

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <bl...@apache.org>.
I updated the website when we thought that we would reach GA in April.
After that updating the website was complicated so I decided to wait for
the actual GA.

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@gmail.com>.
Just my random thoughts as an outsider while trying to look at this thread
months after the fact.  I could have missed some details along the way and
might not quite understand the final proposal.

On this topic in general, it seems a bit odd to me to have support / fixes
for a release defined primarily as an amount of time after the release date
given that future releases can't be guaranteed to hit a specific month.  It
also causes exceptions to the rule for 3.0 and 3.11.   If instead, the
support interval was primarily defined relative to the date of future
releases, the result would be a (near) constant number of supported
releases, regardless of the pace of the releases.  A minimum support
interval would probably be needed in case the pace quickens to faster than
one a year, however.

For example, if major version N is released today, it could mean that
existing releases all 'roll down' a tier 2 months after that:  N-3 has 2
months left of critical/high severity bug fixes before retirement,,  N-2
becomes high severity only in 3 months, etc.  The 2 month buffer in this
example allows for a last round of important fixes to occur right after a
major release, when it is likely that resources that were focused on the
major release free up to do any final work / review on fixes for older or
retiring branches..

In effect for 4.0, this would mean something like
   4.0 full support until two months after 6.0 is released, or 2 years,
whichever is longer.
   4.0 critical fixes until two months after 7.0 is released, or 3 years,
wichever is longer.
this automatically takes care of the long time delay for 3.0 and 3.11
without any special exceptions for them.  And in the future, if there was
an extra-long release for some reasonit would not cause a reduction in the
number of actively supported versions, nor affect the 'cadence' of
major-release -> final fixups for old branches.  It also allows for
occasional shorter releases without any increase in the total branches
supported if the average of the last few is still about one year.  For
example, maybe major release X takes 14 months, then major release X+1
takes 10 months.