Posted to builds@apache.org by Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org> on 2021/05/19 18:40:34 UTC

[Hosting] OSUOSL IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

As many of you might have noticed, there has been some shifting around with
the Freenode IRC network in the past few days [1][2]. This has resulted in
a number of Freenode staff members resigning and starting a new IRC network.

Considering the future status of Freenode and given the track record of the
folks involved with the new network called Libera Chat [3], we've decided
that we're moving #osuosl (and any other related channels) over to
irc.libera.chat.

We'll keep the Freenode channels alive for a little while longer but intend
to close them down within a month or so. For those interested, we are
considering spinning up a Matrix server at some point to provide a more
rich chat experience but for now we still use IRC for most of our
communication with FOSS projects.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know otherwise we'll
see you on Libera Chat in #osuosl!

Thanks-

[1] https://kline.sh
[2] https://lwn.net/Articles/856543/
[3] https://libera.chat/

--
Lance Albertson
Director

Re: [Hosting] OSUOSL IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

Posted by Tobias McNulty <to...@caktusgroup.com>.
On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 7:54 PM Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately this is likely due to the fact we referenced Libera Chat in
> our topic. I recommend all users to log off of Freenode if you can and move
> to LIbera Chat for #osuosl.

+1

The Django project experienced the same thing today:
https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2021/may/26/django-irc-channels-migration-liberachat/

Tobias

Re: [Hosting] OSUOSL IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

Posted by Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org>.

Posted by Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mc...@kernel.org>.
Hi Lance,

Em Wed, 19 May 2021 11:40:34 -0700
Lance Albertson <la...@osuosl.org> escreveu:

> As many of you might have noticed, there has been some shifting around with
> the Freenode IRC network in the past few days [1][2]. This has resulted in
> a number of Freenode staff members resigning and starting a new IRC network.
>
> Considering the future status of Freenode and given the track record of the
> folks involved with the new network called Libera Chat [3], we've decided
> that we're moving #osuosl (and any other related channels) over to
> irc.libera.chat.
>
> We'll keep the Freenode channels alive for a little while longer but intend
> to close them down within a month or so. For those interested, we are
> considering spinning up a Matrix server at some point to provide a more
> rich chat experience but for now we still use IRC for most of our
> communication with FOSS projects.
>
> If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know otherwise we'll
> see you on Libera Chat in #osuosl!

FYI, it seems that, just like other IRC channels that were migrated:

	https://www.gentoo.org/news/2021/05/26/gentoo-freenode-channels-hijacked.html
	https://voidlinux.org/news/2021/05/freenode-takeover.html
	https://www.devever.net/~hl/freenode_abuse
	https://lwn.net/Articles/857252/
	https://twitter.com/bagder/status/1397433855817170949

the channel was hijacked at freenode:

	/msg chanserv INFO #osuosl

	Information on #osuosl:
	(22:37:41) ChanServ: (notice) Founder    : freenode-placeholder-account
	(22:37:41) ChanServ: (notice) Registered : May 26 03:00:32 2021 (17h 37m 8s ago)
	(22:37:41) ChanServ: (notice) The #osuosl namespace is registered to the osuosl project
	(22:37:41) ChanServ: (notice) *** End of Info ***

Trying to join it redirects to:

	# #osuosl

Thanks,
Mauro