Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Fedor Smirnoff <fe...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/24 08:23:59 UTC

Struts, tiles, multiple templates/webapps

Hi,

Let me start off by saying I am completely new to
development with Struts and Tiles. Phew, hard part is
out of the way, now here comes the easy part :)

I am working on building a content management system.
Model is similar to one of those build your own
website and have it hosted for only $n a month :)

Basically it will have  2 main parts. 1 - main
administration application that will allow owner of
the system upload different templates, components,
like shopping cart, poll systems, blah blah. 2 - user
side where user will be able to signup, choose a
template from what�s available and than add components
they want to the new site.

Now I have selected Struts and Tiles because from what
I learned so far Struts is absolutely amazing when it
comes to reusability of the code and ability to expend
existing application. Now Tiles I think will be good,
well because this application will heavily depend on
templates.

Finally down to my questions, am I in your opinion
making a right choice technology wise (Struts/Tiles)?

Do you think I will run into trouble of having
everything including users website under one
application in Tomcat/Struts or its better for each
user deploy a completely new application?

If its all under one application, will there be a
problem managing configuration xml files for struts
and tiles.

Anything else you can throw my way, I will really
appreciate. You know how it is when starting a new
project. I have worked on many different applications
but never with Struts.

Thank you for reading my essay :)

Sincerely,
Fedor