Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonathan Martineau <Jo...@travail.gouv.qc.ca> on 2003/11/12 18:50:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Rép. : Re: [users@httpd] Hello all , right now im stuck with a strange problem and iwould appreciate any he

"URL encode that filename"  What do you mean? you mean renaming the filename remplacing "é" with "%e9" ?
or is it something related with mod_rewrite ?

Can i use mod_rewrite for changing every special character by his Hex equivalent within the URL?

John

>>> robert@profundis.nu 12/11/03 03h48 >>>
Jonathan Martineau wrote:
> http://127.0.0.1/Décision_07_05_1995.pdf

I think you are better off if you URL encode that filename, so it is
replaced by the ASCII code for the character on the particular OS Apache is
running on. In this case, it might be "D%e9cision_07_05_1995.pdf".

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Rép. : Re: [users@httpd] Hello all , right now im stuck with a strange problem and iwould appreciate any he

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Jonathan Martineau wrote:
> "URL encode that filename"  What do you mean? you mean renaming
> the filename remplacing "é" with "%e9" ?

It is related to whatever is generating the HTML that includes the link.
What is generating the HTML?

The problem is that the character in question might have different ASCII
value, depending on character set. When opening (the text file) in Internet
Explorer it might get the right encoding, while, when it is sent to Acrobat
Reader, it might get the wrong encoding, or it doesn't encode it at all, or
perhaps double-encode it.

It may work if you could make sure the character set is correct in the
headers of the response that includes the link, but I don't know.

> or is it something related with mod_rewrite ?

No. Although, you might be able to fix bad requests with mod rewrite.

Another possible workaround is to use mod_speling.

Regards,
Robert Andersson