Posted to community@apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/12/03 19:35:32 UTC

question on dev documentation

If you search google for

  link:http://www.apache.org/dev/

(that means "all pages that link to http://www.apache.org/dev/") you
find two pages and none of them are from the ASF.

My question is: is this on purpose or it's a navigation bug?

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: question on dev documentation

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Ok, then my next question is: the fact that 'incubator.apache.org' is
> not reacheable from www.apache.org is a navigation bug or it's on
> purpose?

the former.

Re: question on dev documentation

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>If you search google for
>>
>>  link:http://www.apache.org/dev/
>>
>>(that means "all pages that link to http://www.apache.org/dev/") you
>>find two pages and none of them are from the ASF.
>>
>>My question is: is this on purpose or it's a navigation bug?
>

> unclear.  it is now linked from the incubator pages.  it is something
> to which new committers should be directed, i think, although if
> the aggregation of how-to/what's-it-all-about documentation continues
> to lie with the incubator, just pointing them there might suffice.

Ok, then my next question is: the fact that 'incubator.apache.org' is
not reacheable from www.apache.org is a navigation bug or it's on purpose?

My point is: I would like people to be able to find out stuff by
themselves, instead of having to ask and being pointed to. Know what I mean?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bert Van Kets wrote:
> It's not an error, just means that not many people know this page or
> find it useful to link to it.
> If you test for the links to www.apache.org you will find more than
> 55000 entries.
>
> Apparently www.apache.org/dev is not worth linking to.   Another
> possibility is that the sites that link to this URL are not indexed by
> Google.  However this seems pretty unlikely to me.
>
> If you test without the trailing slash there are NO entries found.

I think that page should be linked directly from http://www.apache.org/
right on the sidebar. But that's just my personal opinion.

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
It's not an error, just means that not many people know this page or find
it useful to link to it.
If you test for the links to www.apache.org you will find more than 55000
entries.

Apparently www.apache.org/dev is not worth linking to.   Another
possibility is that the sites that link to this URL are not indexed by
Google.  However this seems pretty unlikely to me.

If you test without the trailing slash there are NO entries found.

Bert