Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Henry Hung <YT...@winbond.com> on 2013/04/17 08:02:00 UTC

Adding new name node location

Hi Everyone,

I'm using Hadoop 1.0.4 and only define 1 location for name node files, like this:
  <property>
    <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
    <value>/home/hadoop/hadoop-data/namenode</value>
  </property>

Now I want to protect my name node files by changing the configuration to:
  <property>
    <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
    <value>/home/hadoop/hadoop-data/namenode,/backup/hadoop/hadoop-data/namenode</value>
  </property>

Where /backup is another mount point. This /backup can be another disk or from another NFS server.

My question are:

1.       Is my procedure correct: do stop-dfs.sh then modify conf, and last start-dfs.sh?

2.       If answer to no 1 is no, then could you provide the correct procedure?

3.       Would the new name node files will auto copy the original name node files?

Best regards,
Henry

________________________________
The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person, please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Winbond is strictly prohibited; and any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Winbond shall be deemed as neither given nor endorsed by Winbond.

答复: Adding new name node location

Posted by jiangchaocai <ji...@haiyisoft.com>.
NOT authoritative:

The “new name node” will get the full copy of the name node metadata when you restart the dfs service.

During the hdfs running , same changes will be made on the name node and the backup folder.

In fact, it only contains 2 files: FSImage, EditLog

Thanks,

John

Re: Adding new name node location

Posted by 李洪忠 <lh...@hotmail.com>.