Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> on 2008/03/07 10:41:42 UTC

Status of the swig directory (aka Xerces-P)

Hi Jason, all,

I am wondering what is the status of the swig subdirectory. I
tried to do make test-suite but ended up with compile errors.
Alberto also confirms that the code in it is not functional.
According to SVN, there hasn't been any development in swig
for the past 16 months.

Is anybody planning to get it into shape and continue development?
If not, we should probably move it out of the Xerces-C++ code base.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools
Open source XML data binding for C++:   http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd

Re: Status of the swig directory (aka Xerces-P)

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Boris,

On 07/03/2008, Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason, all,
>
>  I am wondering what is the status of the swig subdirectory. I
>  tried to do make test-suite but ended up with compile errors.
>  Alberto also confirms that the code in it is not functional.
>  According to SVN, there hasn't been any development in swig
>  for the past 16 months.

I've been making this very low priority over the past year as it
seemed that the 3.0 release was not happening. I put a lot of effort
merging the Xerces-P codebase into the 3.0 tree, but then I really
lost momentum.

I do have time at the moment to ensure that the swig directory
compiles and produces a working perl module. This will probably take
me 2-3 days.

>  Is anybody planning to get it into shape and continue development?
>  If not, we should probably move it out of the Xerces-C++ code base.

Good question! Let me get everything into SVN and compiling again and
then I will have to let c-dev to decide the future of the scripting
language bindings to Xerces-C. I have written them and been
maintaining them but I find the my projects are taking me away from
XML parsing, so it would be good to find another helper that wants to
continue holding the SWIG bindings.

If not and no one wants the SWIG bindings anymore, then they should be removed.

I made an effort to contact the Ruby, Python, and Tcl communities to
let them know of the existence of the SWIG bindings, and that they
could benefit by having instant access to Xerces-C thru those
bindings, but I didn't get much of a response in the lists I
contacted. If one other language could be added, I believe it would
become much easier to support the bindings. As it is, there is only
Perl, so all the work falls onto the Perl maintainer's shoulders.

Cheers, jas.

Re: Status of the swig directory (aka Xerces-P)

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Boris,

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On 07/03/2008, Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason, all,
>
>  I am wondering what is the status of the swig subdirectory. I
>  tried to do make test-suite but ended up with compile errors.
>  Alberto also confirms that the code in it is not functional.
>  According to SVN, there hasn't been any development in swig
>  for the past 16 months.

The missing parts are now committed as of 636188.

make test-suite works, but gives a number of errors. 49 test scripts
succeed, but 13 are failing - some due to API changes, but also
because the SAXParser is not properly configured.

Please test on your systems. I am testing on a Linux Ubuntu gutsy box.

Now that the missing code is in place and compiles, I will fix the
SAXParser issue and API changes that are making the tests fail and
commit those fixes in the next 3 days.

Cheers, jas.