Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ch...@qimonda.com on 2006/09/27 18:01:18 UTC

Help with Svn via SSH

I'm using v1.3.2 for now.

I have a repository in a Linux machine accessible via SSH.
I've been doing my work on an HPUX machine, and the HPUX and
Linux setup works pretty well.

Now I want to access the Linux repos. via my Win2k machine.
- I installed Svn v1.3.2 Win2k binaries, added them to my path
- I installed the Perl extensions
- I added SVN_SSH="c:\putty\plink.exe" user@my.linuxbox.com -pw password
  to my global environment variables

Now when I try
> svn co svn+ssh://my.linuxbox.com/repos/code junk

I get...
svn: Can't create tunnel. The system can not find the file specified

Note that I can SSH to the box so I know SSH is working.

What am I missing?

Re: Help with Svn via SSH

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    Me> It's not clear if SVN_SSH is supposed to be just the _name_
    Me> of the program to run, or else is supposed to include
    Me> _arguments_ to the program.

I've poked around and it's now clear that the latter is the case --
SVN_SSH may include arguments to SSH (I've updated The Book to make
that clear).

    Me> So since your method -- including arguments -- didn't work,

Now I wonder if the problem is the double-quote marks.  Try
eliminating those but keeping the rest of the arguments as you
originally had them.

--
A DRE voting system is one of the simplest computer
applications you could imagine.  It just adds by one.

Re: Help with Svn via SSH

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    > I added SVN_SSH="c:\putty\plink.exe" user@my.linuxbox.com -pw
    > password to my global environment variables

    > I get...  svn: Can't create tunnel.  The system can not find the
    > file specified

It's a pity this isn't documented anywhere; I'm going to have to guess:

It's not clear if SVN_SSH is supposed to be just the _name_ of the
program to run, or else is supposed to include _arguments_ to the
program.  So since your method -- including arguments -- didn't work,
try setting SVN_SSH to just c:\putty\plink.exe (that's what I do, more
or less), and creating a PuTTY "session" named, say, mylinuxbox, which
contains the user name and host name.  Then try checking out like this:

        svn co svn+ssh://mylinuxbox/repos/code junk

--
[F]reedom is kind of a hobby with me, and I have disposable
income that I'll spend to find out how to get people more of it.

RE: Help with Svn via SSH

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.

Yep that's why you get by with the simpler SVN_SSH variable.

Re: Help with Svn via SSH

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Chris.Fouts@qimonda.com wrote:
> I played with this a little more, along with coaching from
> Erik. The trick is to
> - Add plink.exe to your global path variable
> - set SVN_SSH=plink -ssh -l user -pw password

Interesting, I've been playing with this lately as well.  We use
TortoiseSVN with URLs like:

svn+ssh://thomas@svn.example.com/var/svn/repos-jobs

The private key gets loaded into PAgent so that TortoiseSVN can access
it.  That works fine, but sometimes we want to use the command-line
client as well on the same working copy.

For the Win32 command-line client, we added C:\Program Files\PuTTY to
the PATH variable like you suggested.  But we are able to use a simpler
SVN_SSH variable of just "SVN_SSH=plink".

But that could be because I didn't bother to protect my SVN SSH key with
a passphrase.  (A moderately risky move, but a calculated risk in our
environment.)

RE: Help with Svn via SSH

Posted by Ch...@qimonda.com.
I played with this a little more, along with coaching from
Erik. The trick is to
- Add plink.exe to your global path variable
- set SVN_SSH=plink -ssh -l user -pw password

-chris