Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ray Ward <wa...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/14 22:56:16 UTC

m2 -- Ready for Prime Time, yet?

I read Vincent Massol's PPT dated 15 September 2005.  He said, Short answer:
No.

But, that was 5 months ago!  How about now?

I have a major set of J2EE apps that are mostly all in m1, with a few
stragglers in Ant.  I will be going through these, externalizing the
environmental dependencies from inside the app to properties files of some
kind.  So it is tempting to upgrade from m1 to m2 in the process.

What are the risks?  Suicidal? None?  Olympic downhill skiiers only?
Curlers would be comfortable?  ;-)

TIA,

Ray Ward, PMP

Re: m2 -- Ready for Prime Time, yet?

Posted by Geoffrey De Smet <ge...@gmail.com>.
Maven 2 is great and stable for the basic things.

If you wanna do exotic things you might have to resort to the antrun
plugin (for purposes like the maven 1 maven.xml).

The eclipse plugin in maven 2 work well to generate configuration.
The idea plugin in maven 2 works well if you use the snapshot instead of
the latest release.
The maven 2 plugin in Eclipse seems broken.
The maven 2 plugin in NetBeans looks very nice.

So unless you're using NetBeans, get comfortable with opening your
command shell to generate a new IDE configuration every time you add a
new library.

If you want to generate a multiproject site, also use the snapshot of
the site plugin.

--
With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet

Re: m2 -- Ready for Prime Time, yet?

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/06, Ray Ward <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I read Vincent Massol's PPT dated 15 September 2005.  He said, Short answer:
> No.
>
> But, that was 5 months ago!  How about now?
>
> I have a major set of J2EE apps that are mostly all in m1, with a few
> stragglers in Ant.  I will be going through these, externalizing the
> environmental dependencies from inside the app to properties files of some
> kind.  So it is tempting to upgrade from m1 to m2 in the process.
>
> What are the risks?  Suicidal? None?  Olympic downhill skiiers only?
> Curlers would be comfortable?  ;-)

To my point of view, the main risks are the bugs you might encounter
and might delay your migration.

The builds are more stable though and the issues mostly exhibited when
you start doing things people haven't done before (new plugins, ...).
As Brett said it, you might need to use SNAPSHOTS versions of some
plugins.

Second writing a m2 plugin takes longer than writing an ant plugin. Be
sure to grasp the various concepts (lifecycle, repositories ...). Get
your dev infrastructure ready early.

If you are not too time constrained, go for it. The earlier you start,
the better you will be to report potential issues and get them fixed
before the next stable release. Make sure you try to tackle the
unsupported bits early.

Cheers,

Jerome

Re: m2 -- Ready for Prime Time, yet?

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
Safe rollercoaster with insurance.  ;-)

Posted by Kathryn Huxtable <kh...@ku.edu>.
I'll second the Kudos to the team! -K

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
I use Maven 2.0 in production and I am quite satisfied. I haven't run
in a lot of bugs. The documentation can look a little bit sparsed but
there is a good wiki and this list is pretty active and helpful and
Maven 2.0 is very intuitive in my opionion.

But like Kathryn said the IDE integration isn't really mature yet
(wich is normal since Maven 2.0 is just like 4 months old) but the
Eclipse plugins seems to progress quite fast (two new versions in
about one month) and big IDE vendors seems interested in it. For
instance, ADF Faces was built using Maven 2.0. So when people say it
is production ready, it is based on a command line usage for the
moment. The only thing I would like to see some bugs fixed in it and
wouldn't say it is production ready is the WebDav protocol support
although it can be used. Other then that kudo to the Maven team and
thank for the great product!!

On 2/14/06, Kathryn Huxtable <kh...@ku.edu> wrote:
> The only thing I'd add is that the IDE extensions are not as mature as those
> for M1. Although I run the Eclipse extension (m2eclipse.codehaus.org) I am
> not really satisfied with it. It's pretty easy to use the mvn
> eclipse:eclipse command, though, to keep your .classpath and .project up to
> date and use the external build with the "real" Maven 2.
>
> -K
>

> On 2/14/06 4:27 PM, "Brett Porter" <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2/15/06, Ray Ward <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I read Vincent Massol's PPT dated 15 September 2005.  He said, Short answer:
> >> No.
> >>
> >> But, that was 5 months ago!  How about now?
> >
> > Well, in September, it wasn't final, so probably fair enough.
> >
> > There was a long discussion on this list a little more recently (maybe
> > November?) where people debated it again.
> >
> > Long story short, yes: as long as you are using final release plugins.
> > If you need certain plugins which are alpha, beta, or non-existant,
> > then your experience of m2 will be that it is alpha, beta or
> > incomplete.
> >
> > Especially if coming from m1, do your homework first, and if things
> > you need aren't ready, tell us.
> >
> > Some plugins are right on the cusp of becoming final or having
> > updates. There's every chance one you need is just around the corner
> > anyway (check the JIRA scheduling for a clearer idea).
> >
> >> What are the risks?  Suicidal? None?  Olympic downhill skiiers only?
> >
> > What's the difference between suicidal and olympic downhill skiiers?
> > (Just watching someone hit a net at 120km/h... ouch :)
> >
> > HTH,
> > Brett

> Kathryn Huxtable
> Middleware Architect
> Core Middleware
> Information Technology, a division of Information Services
> The University of Kansas

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: m2 -- Ready for Prime Time, yet?