Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andy Engle <st...@andyengle.com> on 2004/03/01 21:53:12 UTC

Starting time-consuming jobs early

Hi all,

It looks like I am going to be involved with a project where the goal
is to gather a bunch of product information from multiple databases,
and then mix-n-match (a highly-technical term there) all that data to
ultimately generate some metrics charts.  It seems that making this a
web application would be good here becuase several groups within this
company X can then share this information.  But since it will take so
long to get the results, I'm wondering if there is some sort of way
using servlets or whatever that I can have this job kick off at maybe
midnight on Friday night so that all the data will be freshly available
on Monday morning when it would be needed.  I've considered maybe using
a cron job to fire off a Perl script to do all the work, and then load
the database with the data that would be replaced each week.  But, I'd
be interested in knowing if I could have it setup some slick way with
Struts/Servlets/etc.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Starting time-consuming jobs early

Posted by David Erickson <de...@cmcflex.com>.
You ought to be able to make a struts plugin or a servlet thats loaded by
your webserver that starts a thread that watches for a certain time each
week then wakes up and does stuff..
-David

> It looks like I am going to be involved with a project where the goal
> is to gather a bunch of product information from multiple databases,
> and then mix-n-match (a highly-technical term there) all that data to
> ultimately generate some metrics charts.  It seems that making this a
> web application would be good here becuase several groups within this
> company X can then share this information.  But since it will take so
> long to get the results, I'm wondering if there is some sort of way
> using servlets or whatever that I can have this job kick off at maybe
> midnight on Friday night so that all the data will be freshly available
> on Monday morning when it would be needed.  I've considered maybe using
> a cron job to fire off a Perl script to do all the work, and then load
> the database with the data that would be replaced each week.  But, I'd
> be interested in knowing if I could have it setup some slick way with
> Struts/Servlets/etc.
>

> Thanks,
> Andy

Re: Starting time-consuming jobs early

Posted by am...@pgmsystems.com.

Quartz might work for you
http://www.quartzscheduler.org

             Andy Engle
             <struts@andyengle
                                       struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
             03/01/2004 03:53                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Starting time-consuming jobs early
             Please respond to