Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> on 2011/06/12 05:43:21 UTC

[VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Please vote on the release cndidate for Apache Droids Incubating,
version 0.1-incubating. I've received one binding IPMC +1 votes and 2
non-binding +1 votes.

PPMC release vote thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-droids-dev/201106.mbox/%3C4DE7D6CC.8080302@apache.org%3E

Source files:
http://people.apache.org/~rfrovarp/droids/

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedroids-011/

SVN source tag (r1127762):
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/tags/0.1-incubating/

PGP release keys (signed using 3698A2B1):
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/KEYS

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Thanks,
Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 June 2011 19:39, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 12:31 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:43:21PM -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>>>
>>> Please vote on the release cndidate for Apache Droids Incubating,
>>> version 0.1-incubating. I've received one binding IPMC +1 votes and 2
>>> non-binding +1 votes.
>>>
>>> PPMC release vote thread:
>>>
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-droids-dev/201106.mbox/%3C4DE7D6CC.8080302@apache.org%3E
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looks like this is the inaugural ASF release for Droids, right?
>
> Thank you for looking at this. Yes, it will be.
>

>> First, congratulations on getting this far!  It can take a long time and a
>> lot
>> of effort to get to the point where a podling's contributors feel
>> comfortable
>> proposing an ASF release.
>>
>> That said, I have some questions about the PPMC vote thread.  Droids has
>> the
>> following roster, according to the status page:
>>
>>     Mentors      Ross Gardler
>>                  Paul Fremantle
>>                  Grant Ingersoll
>>
>>     Committers   Thorsten Scherler
>>                  Ryan McKinley
>>                  Grant Ingersoll
>>                  Oleg Kalnichevski
>>
>> This is the tally for the PPMC vote:
>>
>>     +1  Torsten Scherler
>>     +1  Richard Frovarp
>>     +1  Bertil Chapuis
>>
>> The Droids status page has apparently not been kept up to date, since
>> there
>> are numerous authors listed at...
>>

>> http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fincubator%2Fdroids
>>
>> ... and both Richard Frovarp and Bertil Chapuis seem to have commit
>> rights.
>> Can you please confirm that the three +1 votes all belong to people who
>> are
>> official members of the Droids PPMC?
>
> Yes, the page needs to be updated. Ross has provided us with a link to the
> page on how to update that information. I personally haven't had time to do
> it. I think I'm on the PPMC, but for the Incubator, I'm not quite sure the
> distinction between a PPMC member and a committer.
>

>> Then there's the IMPC vote, which looks like it comes from Thorsten
>> Scherler.
>> According to this...
>>
>>     http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#incubator-pmc
>>
>> ... Thorsten is not on the IPMC right now, though as an ASF Member he can
>> simply request to join.  Once that happens, you'll have 1 IPMC vote.
>>

> But he is. Several months ago the board acked his request, but it would
> appear that the IPCM membership roster hasn't been updated.

Indeed.

The request was sent to the board on Dec 4th 2010, and it was acked by
Bertrand Delecretaz the same day.

Committee-info.txt and the LDAP group need to be updated.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 06/15/2011 04:39 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:35:05PM -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>>> There should be archived VOTE threads on the droids-private list, which were
>>> cc'd to private@incubator.a.o.  Hopefully they were for PPMC membership.  If
>>> not, there will be some cleanup work to do.
>>
>> The votes were handled on the droids-dev list (like they should) and
>> were committer votes. So Bertil and I aren't on the PPMC.
>
> OK... In my opinion, the intent of the community to make this release is
> perfectly clear.  None of the people who are officially on the PPMC objected
> to it, nor did anyone raise any concerns about the validity of votes from
> Committers who aren't on the PPMC.

In general, votes can come from anyone, so votes from people that aren't
on the PMC shouldn't be discouraged. In a previous vote, Ross did tell
me if I needed more binding votes, to come here.

> However, it looks as though Droids isn't *bundling* either JUnit or
> javax.servlet, in either in source or binary form -- you're expecting Maven to
> resolve and install the dependency.  Therefore, I don't believe it's required
> to include the license texts which apply to those components.
>
> I'm not even sure whether you even need attributions in NOTICE.txt for
> components you aren't bundling.  As best I can tell, the Droids distro archive
> does not contain either source or binary materials belonging to or derived
> from either JUnit or javax.servlet IP.
>
> In summary, unless someone corrects my interpretation, LICENSE.txt is fine and
> NOTICE.txt has some info which is arguably superfluous, but the presence of
> that extra info does not block the release.  I consider the matter
> provisionally resolved.

Sebb seems to agree with your interpretation. I have fixed the files to
remove any notices to anything, except for the standard ASF notice.
License only include AL2. I was unclear on this, as you can't have
runtime required dependencies on category X items. A project can't
require Hibernate (LGPL) and claim that it is okay because Apache Maven
is bringing in the dependency. It was not clear to me how category-B
should be handled. Consensus is to say nothing if it isn't being
bundled, so everything has been removed.

> OK.  In my rush, I hadn't noticed that the Maven-generated NOTICE file was just
> a stub rather than a substantially different version of NOTICE.txt.  It's still
> inaccurate because it's incomplete, though:
>
>          Droids
>          Copyright 2007-2011 The Apache Software Foundation
>
>          This product includes software developed at
>          The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

I've renamed NOTICE.txt to NOTICE and have updated all the references in
the poms to Apache Droids, instead of just Droids. This should insure
that future packages have the correct information.

> Yep.  I double checked and RAT only flags that silly DEPENDENCIES file.
> License headers look good!

Excellent. Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:35:05PM -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> There should be archived VOTE threads on the droids-private list, which were
>> cc'd to private@incubator.a.o.  Hopefully they were for PPMC membership.  If
>> not, there will be some cleanup work to do.
>
> The votes were handled on the droids-dev list (like they should) and
> were committer votes. So Bertil and I aren't on the PPMC.

OK... In my opinion, the intent of the community to make this release is
perfectly clear.  None of the people who are officially on the PPMC objected
to it, nor did anyone raise any concerns about the validity of votes from
Committers who aren't on the PPMC.

Furthermore, the three +1 votes come from the three top podling committers by
commit volume:

    http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fincubator%2Fdroids

The community is small and some people are MIA, but it seems like those who are
active are exhibiting exactly what the Incubator wants to see: responsible
self-governance by stakeholders.  The fact that two votes come from people who
were elected as Committers but not PPMC members is a technical oversight.

The Incubation Policy page sets out clear rules for how a release happens, and
I don't see a way to overlook or overrule the "SHALL" and "SHALL NOT" portions
of the text without a formal IPMC vote:

    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

    Podlings in Incubation SHALL NOT perform any releases of software without
    the explicit approval of the Incubator PMC. Such approval SHALL be given
    only after the Incubator PMC has followed the process detailed in these
    guidelines, and SHALL NOT occur until all source has been legally
    transferred to the ASF.

    Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
    Podling SHALL hold a vote on the Podling's public -dev list. At least
    three +1 votes are required (see the Apache Voting Process page). If the
    majority of all votes is positive, then the Podling SHALL send a summary
    of that vote to the Incubator's general list and formally request the
    Incubator PMC approve such a release. Three +1 Incubator PMC votes are
    required. Below is an example showing how an incubating project managed
    this process:

The by-the-book remedy is for the existing Droids PPMC members to vote in the
people who are obviously driving this project forward, and for a new release
vote to be taken.  I'm pained by the delays that will introduce, and if
there's anything I can do to expedite the process I'd like to help, but as a
newcomer to the IPMC I don't see it as being my place to suggest alternative
approaches.

> No, there is no JIRA ticket.

OK, no problem -- this thread will suffice.

> There are no category-X defined dependencies.

Check!

> The notice file includes notices for all the category B
> defined dependencies: JUnit and javax.servlet. Those are fairly common
> in Apache projects and the requirements were met. See below.
>
> Attached is the dependency hierarchy. All of the Apache projects are
> full projects, so they are all good. That leaves:
>
> NekoHTML - AL2
> SLF4J - MIT
> mockito - MIT
> Google Guava - AL2
> Spring - AL2
> JUnit - CPL v1 - Category B, binary only, appropriately labeled in the
> NOTICE.txt file
> javax.servlet - Included in the Jetty notice, which states it is CDDLv1
> and copyright Sun Microsystems and ASF. Notice text copied from Solr
> Jetty 6 - AL2, but requires notice (in place)
> CGLib - AL2

OK, excellent -- no fundamental problems, so it's just a matter of dotting our
i's and crossing our t's.

I see that the Droids LICENSE.txt only contains the ALv2, yet Droids has
dependencies on non-ALv2 libraries.

    http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distributing-code-under-several-licenses

However, it looks as though Droids isn't *bundling* either JUnit or
javax.servlet, in either in source or binary form -- you're expecting Maven to
resolve and install the dependency.  Therefore, I don't believe it's required
to include the license texts which apply to those components.

I'm not even sure whether you even need attributions in NOTICE.txt for
components you aren't bundling.  As best I can tell, the Droids distro archive
does not contain either source or binary materials belonging to or derived
from either JUnit or javax.servlet IP.

In summary, unless someone corrects my interpretation, LICENSE.txt is fine and
NOTICE.txt has some info which is arguably superfluous, but the presence of
that extra info does not block the release.  I consider the matter
provisionally resolved.

(If Droids ever *starts* bundling JUnit or javax.servlet, I'm pretty sure
you'll need *both* the notice and the license texts.)

> That's Maven. LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt are the two in svn. We may need
> to rename them to be without the .txt so Maven doesn't do its own thing
> there. While without txt is preferred, it is allowable to use the .txt
> file names.

OK.  In my rush, I hadn't noticed that the Maven-generated NOTICE file was just
a stub rather than a substantially different version of NOTICE.txt.  It's still
inaccurate because it's incomplete, though:

        Droids
        Copyright 2007-2011 The Apache Software Foundation

It's not clear to me whether the presence of an inaccurate NOTICE file is
rendered moot by the presence of an accurate NOTICE.txt file.  In the absence
of further commentary by those more expert than myself, I think I have to
consider the inaccurate file a blocker.

>> I'm not sure what the DEPENDENCIES file is supposed to tell us, but it contains
>> minimal information.  Presumably it's some Maven thing I just don't grok.
>
> That was Maven generated and I don't understand it either. I used the
> defined method of releasing via Apache Maven, including using the latest
> parent pom.

It's misleading because it's named "DEPENDENCIES" yet it does not list any of
the project's existing dependencies.  I don't like it, and if it is consumed
by anything downstream, it could lead to miscommunications.  However, I don't
know of a reason it should block.

>> Lastly, I think it's worth commenting on the contents of README.TXT, which
>> starts off like so:
>>
>>                          A p a c h e    D r o i d s
>>                          --------------------------
>>
>>                 by Thorsten Scherler<thorsten at apache.org>
>>
>> That credit is obviously inaccurate and seems quite unusual for an Apache
>> project.  I know that other projects have gone out of their way to delete all
>> @author tags.  Perhaps Droids might consider doing likewise.
>
> Yes, that file needs to be cleaned up. I do see there are two source
> files with @author in them. I've fixed them in trunk. I don't think
> either of these two things are a blocker.

Good resolution, agree that it's not a blocker FWIW.

>> I also intend to run a RAT report, and to pore over LICENSE and NOTICE more
>> thoroughly, but I'm out of time for today and wanted to get you this feedback
>> sooner rather than later.
>>

> Thanks for the feedback. I poured over the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
> files quite carefully. The RAT report was ran until it came back clean
> twice. Those should be good.

Yep.  I double checked and RAT only flags that silly DEPENDENCIES file.
License headers look good!

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 6/14/2011 8:14 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> There should be archived VOTE threads on the droids-private list, which were
> cc'd to private@incubator.a.o.  Hopefully they were for PPMC membership.  If
> not, there will be some cleanup work to do.

The votes were handled on the droids-dev list (like they should) and
were committer votes. So Bertil and I aren't on the PPMC.

> Excellent.  Was your work documented anywhere?  Ideally, there would be a JIRA
> issue I can read over explaining why each dependency with a non-category-A
> license is OK.
>
>      http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

No, there is no JIRA ticket. There are no category-X defined
dependencies. The notice file includes notices for all the category B

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19:41AM +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > (Looks like OOo is already starting to impact our volunteer resources.)
> >
> > FYI, at this point I still plan to gate my vote on a +1 vote from a Droids
> > Mentor.  IMO, it would be less than ideal to have an inaugural release
> > approved by one interested party (Thorsten) augmented by freelancers, even if
> > one or more Mentors has expressed some measure of support in the past.
>
> Actually I stepped up as mentor when Grant resigned.

My primary concern is IP clearance for an inaugural ASF release.  As a
freelancer, I can perform a superficial examination of the existing artifacts,
but I was not there while the IP that makes them up was being imported or
committed.

However, if the IPMC has seen fit to appoint you as a Mentor, I will defer to
the collective judgment and assume that sufficient care has been exercised.

> I need to search in my send mail folder but I actually wrote an request
> to the private incubator list to add me as mentor.

Googling these message id's only turns up this post; since I'm not an ASF
Member, I don't have access to the ap-mail archives on people.apache.org;
sending mail to the private-get.1-2000@incubator.a.o failed; searching
droids-dev and general@incubator.a.o via MarkMail did not turn up any
indication of where the Mentorship appointment took place.

Can somebody please help out with confirmation that Thorsten's request to
become a Mentor for Droids went through?

> > Lastly, I think it's worth commenting on the contents of README.TXT, which
> > starts off like so:
> >
> >                         A p a c h e    D r o i d s
> >                         --------------------------
> >
> >                by Thorsten Scherler <thorsten at apache.org>
> >
> > That credit is obviously inaccurate and seems quite unusual for an Apache
> > project.  I know that other projects have gone out of their way to delete all
> > @author tags.  Perhaps Droids might consider doing likewise.
>
> If you read this file to the end you will find:
> "Please report feedback to the labs mailing list."
>
> Meaning this file have not changed since it was first created in Apache
> Labs. That is the only reason for this unusual credit. It started as
> personal research project and we have not reviewed this file ever since.
> Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix it right away.

Fab, that's great.  :)

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 18:14 -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> [...]

to the private incubator list to add me as mentor.

> Lastly, I think it's worth commenting on the contents of README.TXT, which
> starts off like so:
>
>                         A p a c h e    D r o i d s
>                         --------------------------
>
>                by Thorsten Scherler <thorsten at apache.org>
>
> That credit is obviously inaccurate and seems quite unusual for an Apache
> project.  I know that other projects have gone out of their way to delete all
> @author tags.  Perhaps Droids might consider doing likewise.

If you read this file to the end you will find:
"Please report feedback to the labs mailing list."

Meaning this file have not changed since it was first created in Apache
Labs. That is the only reason for this unusual credit. It started as
personal research project and we have not reviewed this file ever since.
Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix it right away.

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 01:39:20PM -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> Looks like this is the inaugural ASF release for Droids, right?
>
> Thank you for looking at this. Yes, it will be.

w00t!

> Yes, the page needs to be updated. Ross has provided us with a link to
> the page on how to update that information. I personally haven't had
> time to do it. I think I'm on the PPMC, but for the Incubator, I'm not
> quite sure the distinction between a PPMC member and a committer.

The roles are just as distinct as they are between a Committer and a PMC
member for a top-level project, and there are separate voting procedures.
Some projects add both roles at once:

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#Voting+in+a+new+committer
    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#Voting+in+a+new+PPMC+member

    For projects which wish to have all committers also be PPMC members, the
    "Voting in a new PPMC member" guide below should then be followed, noting
    that if desired it is possible to run a joint committership and PPMC vote,
    providing that the guidance for both is followed.

There should be archived VOTE threads on the droids-private list, which were
cc'd to private@incubator.a.o.  Hopefully they were for PPMC membership.  If
not, there will be some cleanup work to do.

>> ... Thorsten is not on the IPMC right now, though as an ASF Member he can
>> simply request to join.  Once that happens, you'll have 1 IPMC vote.
>
> But he is. Several months ago the board acked his request, but it would
> appear that the IPCM membership roster hasn't been updated.

OK, great!  That's resolved.

> Ross participated in a previous vote that didn't pass as we found things
> we need to clean up. It would seem he didn't have the time to
> participate this time.

OK, that's reassuring. :)

(Looks like OOo is already starting to impact our volunteer resources.)

FYI, at this point I still plan to gate my vote on a +1 vote from a Droids
Mentor.  IMO, it would be less than ideal to have an inaugural release
approved by one interested party (Thorsten) augmented by freelancers, even if
one or more Mentors has expressed some measure of support in the past.

>> In principle, I'd like to freelance and contribute some oversight towards your
>> release by performing a surface review and voting.  I can check license
>> headers, sigs and sums, etc, and help with an audit of LICENSE and NOTICE,
>> especially if we can work together to produce an authoritative list of the
>> project's dependencies.  Unfortunately, my Java expertise is almost all
>> theoretical, so code review will be limited to fumbling around until I figure
>> out how to run the test suite and verify that it passes.
>
> I can put together a list. Maven should give it to me easily and I can
> post.

That would be most helpful.

I intend to rely on this list as authoritative, as assessing a Java code base
for dependencies is outside my area of expertise.

> I've gone through it quite carefully and everything I can see indicates that
> we are good.  I've been doing some of this as PMC Chair for Apache Lenya, so
> I do have some experience with it.

Excellent.  Was your work documented anywhere?  Ideally, there would be a JIRA
issue I can read over explaining why each dependency with a non-category-A
license is OK.

    http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

> Further help and guidance of course is always welcome.

You are gracious.  I'll defer to others on guidance; I see my role as more
that of a QC engineer.

And to start off my QC, I'll note that there are some oddities in the top
level directory of the archive.  Here's the file list:

    DEPENDENCIES
    LICENSE
    LICENSE.txt
    NOTICE
    NOTICE.txt
    README.TXT
    droids-core
    droids-norobots
    droids-solr
    droids-spring
    droids-tika
    droids-wicket
    pom.xml

The LICENSE and LICENSE.txt files are essentially duplicates of each other,
having only whitespace differences.  However, the NOTICE and NOTICE.txt files
are quite distinct (diff below my sig).  I think this is a blocker.

I'm not sure what the DEPENDENCIES file is supposed to tell us, but it contains
minimal information.  Presumably it's some Maven thing I just don't grok.

Lastly, I think it's worth commenting on the contents of README.TXT, which
starts off like so:

                        A p a c h e    D r o i d s
                        --------------------------

               by Thorsten Scherler <thorsten at apache.org>

That credit is obviously inaccurate and seems quite unusual for an Apache
project.  I know that other projects have gone out of their way to delete all
@author tags.  Perhaps Droids might consider doing likewise.

I also intend to run a RAT report, and to pore over LICENSE and NOTICE more
thoroughly, but I'm out of time for today and wanted to get you this feedback
sooner rather than later.

Best,

Marvin Humphrey

marvin@smokey:~/Desktop/droids/droids-0.1-incubating $ diff -u NOTICE NOTICE.txt
--- NOTICE  2011-05-25 21:36:50.000000000 -0700
+++ NOTICE.txt  2011-05-25 21:35:20.000000000 -0700
@@ -1,8 +1,58 @@
-
-Droids
-Copyright 2007-2011 The Apache Software Foundation
+Apache Droids
+Copyright 2008-2011 The Apache Software Foundation.

+See also the file LICENSE.txt and README.txt
+
+The purpose of this NOTICE.txt file is to contain notices that are
+required by the copyright owner and their license. Some of the
+accompanying products have an attribution requirement, so see below.
+Other accompanying products do not require attribution, so are not listed.
+
+
+==============================================================
+ CGLib
+==============================================================
+ This product includes software developed by the CGLib Project
+ (http://cglib.sourceforge.net). Licensed under the
+ Apache Software License
+
+
+==============================================================
+ Jetty Web Container
+ Copyright 1995-2006 Mort Bay Consulting Pty Ltd
+==============================================================
+
+This product includes some software developed at The Apache Software
+Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
+
+The javax.servlet package used by Jetty is copyright
+Sun Microsystems, Inc and Apache Software Foundation. It is
+distributed under the Common Development and Distribution License.
+You can obtain a copy of the license at
+https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html.
+
+The UnixCrypt.java code ~Implements the one way cryptography used by
+Unix systems for simple password protection.  Copyright 1996 Aki Yoshida,
+modified April 2001  by Iris Van den Broeke, Daniel Deville.
+
+The default JSP implementation is provided by the Glassfish JSP engine
+from project Glassfish http://glassfish.dev.java.net.  Copyright 2005
+Sun Microsystems, Inc. and portions Copyright Apache Software Foundation.
+
+Some portions of the code are Copyright:
+  2006 Tim Vernum
+  1999 Jason Gilbert.
+
+The jboss integration module contains some LGPL code.
+
+========================================================================
+JUnit

Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

sau2

[CANCELED] Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 06/11/2011 10:43 PM, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Please vote on the release cndidate for Apache Droids Incubating,
> version 0.1-incubating. I've received one binding IPMC +1 votes and 2
> non-binding +1 votes.
>
> PPMC release vote thread:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-droids-dev/201106.mbox/%3C4DE7D6CC.8080302@apache.org%3E
>

> Source files:
> http://people.apache.org/~rfrovarp/droids/
>
> Maven staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedroids-011/
>
> SVN source tag (r1127762):
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/tags/0.1-incubating/
>
> PGP release keys (signed using 3698A2B1):
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/KEYS
>

> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

This vote has been canceled due to identification of blocking issues.
They will be fixed and a new build will be made shortly. Thanks to those
that helped.

Re: [VOTE] Release Droids 0.1-incubating RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 June 2011 17:29, Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 08:47 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 12 June 2011 04:43, Richard Frovarp<rf...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Please vote on the release cndidate for Apache Droids Incubating, version
>>> 0.1-incubating. I've received one binding IPMC +1 votes and 2 non-binding
>>> +1
>>> votes.
>>>
>>> PPMC release vote thread:
>>>
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-droids-dev/201106.mbox/%3C4DE7D6CC.8080302@apache.org%3E
>>>
>>> Source files:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~rfrovarp/droids/
>>>
>>> Maven staging repo:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedroids-011/
>>>
>>> SVN source tag (r1127762):
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/tags/0.1-incubating/
>>>
>>> PGP release keys (signed using 3698A2B1):
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/droids/KEYS
>>>

>>> [ ] +1
>>> [ ] +0
>>> [ ] -1
>>
>> There must be a disclaimer saying that the project is undergoing
>> Incubation.
>> This is normally in a DISCLAIMER file, which should be in SVN, source
>> and binary archives.
>>

> Added.
>
>> The website should also carry a prominent disclaimer, nromally at the
>> start of the index page.
>>

> Will have someone work on that.
>
>> The NOTICE file must only contain required notices, and only for items
>> that are actually included in the release, not run-time dependencies
>> that are downloaded by Maven.
>>
>> E.g. is JUnit included in the release? If not, remove the reference.
>>
>> Do not add any extraneous text to the Notice file - e.g explanations
>> and headings - it should be as short as possible (but no shorter).
>>

> Done.
>
>> The project name should be shown as "Apache Droids" in the Notice file(s).
>>

> Fixed as well.
>
>> I think the above all need to be fixed before release.
>>
>> The source archive contents agree with SVN (apart from extra files
>> generated by Maven).
>> Sigs and hashes are OK; key is in public PGP repo.
>> Contents of jar files look good; there are N&L files in the META-INF dir.
>>
>> The source and javadoc jar manifests could include the Specification
>> entries.
>
> I don't know that I completely understand this. I'm not too familiar with
> the manifest files, and adding specification into a search returns back the
> specs on the file format.

I meant the Specification entries which are already in the binary jar
manifests, for example:

Specification-Title: Apache Droids Core
Specification-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Specification-Version: 0.1-incubating

These would also be useful in the source and javadoc jar manifests.

[The Implementation entries really only apply to binary jars.]

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.