Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/03 04:59:51 UTC

[Website] Learning content

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>wrote:

> It's been blowing me away too.  I can't imagine the impact we could have
> made if the timing would have worked better between the press releases and
> the new website.
>
> Either way, If anybody wants to help me keep the content fresh that would
> rock too.  In particular we still need to do some scrubbing of the external
> content links -- like the videos and how-to stuff.  Looking at the stats
> coming back from the goog it seems people are looking to learn.  Right now,
> we quickly being the only source for this type of content (as Adobe goes
> down the road of dropping content from the ADC).
>
> -Nick

I agree that this would be key to keeping Apache Flex relevant.  A lot of
people (committers as well) had expressed interest in contributing learning
materials to Apache Flex.  I hope they would step up now and deliver.  A
few things that we could right away are:

1.  Create more how-to videos
2.  Create tutorials and working examples for the new features we have added
3.  Get more and more people to subscribe to users@flex.apache.org (any
ideas how to do that?)
4.  Figure out more ways to engage the community.  We started with a few
google hangouts, townhalls, etc.  Can those folks start doing it more
regularly?
5.  Create a brand new Flex component explorer or a Tour de Flex like app.
We dont need to wait for stuff to be donated.  These projects should be
straightforward to create ourselves.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Om

Re: [Website] Learning content

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
It would be great if we could reach out to whatever remaining usergroups
there are left as well.  I know mine is still running (and focused on
Flex), but I don't know how many others there are out there.  I got an
email from the guy who runs the Chicago group and will probably do a
meeting out there in March along with some general evangelism...

I have a few components I'd like to get integrated into the framework, and
I think that is the next thing I need to tackle.  I've been using them for
the last few years on virtually all of my projects but they need some tests
(I've not written my own Mustella tests from scratch, so I need to figure
that stuff out too).  I think on my list after that I can tackle the Tour
de Flex.  I never really liked how it worked in the old Adobe version and
wouldn't mind taking that one on..

-Nick