Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> on 2016/03/11 15:30:47 UTC

IP clearance for importing repos

[note crosspost]

The Milagro podling is looking to import several repos from github
(enumerated at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MILAGRO-1 ).

They're already Apache-Licensed.  Do we need a full Software
Grant before importing to the Incubator, or is it sufficient to
clear that before graduating?

--
Nick Kew

Re: IP clearance for importing repos

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Yes, a full Software Grant is needed. This forms the basis of the
podling's code base and is a significant contribution that would
otherwise require IP clearance, the original contributors (the legal
copyright holders) need to sign a software grant, sent to
secretary@apache.org.

Only once the secretary emails the private@milagro list back to
confirm reception of the Software Grant can you import the code base
to git.apache.org.

As your code base is Apache-licensed it should normally be sufficient
to have a software grant from the 'original' rights holder per
repository (Certivox?) - as any later contributions would have been
covered by clause 5 in the license:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0#contributions

However any larger contributions in the past may still needs to be
part of the grant (e.g. if NTT contributors added a new module rather
than just fixing some bugs, NTT should also sign the Software Grant).

For more details, see
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance

On 11 March 2016 at 14:30, Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> [note crosspost]
>
> The Milagro podling is looking to import several repos from github
> (enumerated at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MILAGRO-1 ).
>
> They're already Apache-Licensed.  Do we need a full Software
> Grant before importing to the Incubator, or is it sufficient to
> clear that before graduating?
>
> --
> Nick Kew

Stian Soiland-Reyes