Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/05/03 20:08:32 UTC

RE: JAXP and Java 1.1 - JAXP support

Hmmm - quite a discussion already!

I can see that performance (and the presumable gains with 1.2 classes) is
important, but I also think it's important to not exclude a set of users.
(Although an important question later will be just how big the pool of
1.1.x-only users there are still out there).  After all, what is an open
source project but what it's community wants it to be?

Re:
---- you Erik Onnen <EO...@c-bridge.com> wrote ----
> <rant>Currently, I don't see a lot of community support for JAXP. Outside
of
> Xalan, what parsers actually support level 2 parsing in DOM and SAX? If
> anyone knows, please share as I am at a loss. So, in the context of the
JAXP
> specification and specifically the TRaX subset, Xalan becomes the
flagship
> for open source implementations as well as TRaX. By limiting itself to
1.1

-- Saxon has supported TrAX (or javax.xml.transform.*) for the past couple
of releases, see
http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/saxon6.2.2/changes.html

-- Both Crimson (shipped with JAXP 1.1) and current Xerces versions support
the parser half of JAXP

-- History (since some others might have missed it):
Last year, Scott Boag and several others proposed TrAX: Transformation API
for XML, which included the TransformerFactory / Templates / Transformer
model, plus the generic Source / Result model (with concrete StreamSource /
DOMSource / SAXSource classes).  Xalan started implementing this for a
while.  Then the TrAX work was folded into Sun's JSR-63, which became the
JAXP 1.1 standard.  Specifically, the TrAX classes became the
javax.xml.transform.* half of JAXP, joining the javax.xml.parsers.* package
that was already there.

I would be interested to know of other parsers or processors that supported
JAXP.

- Shane