Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/05/06 09:30:23 UTC

SQL in Cocoon (Was: Re: Vote: to unify, or not to unify - results)

Tony

Thanks for helping to clarify; perhaps what is then missing
from the docs is, for us "oldies" with bad habits, a guide
to "Migrating apps from XSP to ...".

For example; you say the approach to replacing ESQL in
XSP would be:

JXT Generator -> SQLTransformer -> Whatever

BUT; in my XSP, the SQL that is generated depends on
logic that uses the results of other SQL statements that
are nested at a higher level... if there is no logic capability
in the SQL then how does one tackle this?

Thanks
Derek

>>> colle006@umn.edu 2004/05/05 07:30:24 PM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:
> Stavros
>
> My point here was not so much getting the PHP
> people into the SoC approach [XML+XSL=HTML] but
> more the confusion that arises when you reply to
> a series of questions [over some period of time] -
>
> "Oh, you want to read from a database - just learn XSP"

It is said that hindsight is 20/20, and I wouldn't even start with XSP
for a newbie. I would prefer
the SQLTransformer, but I'm not sure how it stacks up to the ESQL
stuff, since I haven't had to use
ESQL for anything.

If you're going for dynamic SQL queries, you could even do:

JXT Generator -> SQLTransformer -> Whatever

> "Oh, you now want to do updates - go and use flow/jxt ?? -
> and rewrite all that XSP code..."

Only if you have a bunch of XSP to start out with.  IMO we need to take
a serious look at
downplaying the role of XSP in Cocoon.  I think as a community, we have
already done so, but it
needs to be reflected in the docs as well, and we all know how our docs
are doing these days.

> "Oh, your database got more complex - toss out what you
> have done and use Hibernate instead..."

IMO, you don't have to throw everything out.  If you start out at
ground zero with JXT +
SQLTransformer, you will have to do a little rewriting when you add
Flow on top of it. When you
decide straight SQL isn't good, and you want something more substantial
(Hibernate or OJB, for
example), you've already been introduced to the Flowscript.

> I am still confused about all this - and I hate to think how a
> newbie would feel!
>
> Derek
>
> PS This is *assuming* we get agreement on whether or
> not the use of XSP even constitutes "good practice".

Regards,
Tony

believed to be clean.