Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "H. Whitlock" <wh...@UMDNJ.EDU> on 2001/06/13 20:52:50 UTC

Transformations to PS

I'm a newbie just beginning to pull together a transformation system (and
later, dynamic web component)for my organization. I have started small,
working with XSL to create only HTML and PDF formats. Today a coworker asked
me about generating Postscript.  I blithely answered, "of course," thinking
that PS comes before PDF. However, now that I think about it, I'm not sure
if Cocoon's transformation tools can do this for me. We don't need something
formed for the browser or Adobe viewer, but rather something to go straight
to the printer without that interim processing. Any ideas?

Harriet

Re: Transformations to PS

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:22:56 +0200 (MET DST)
Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de> wrote:

> rOn Wed, 13 Jun 2001, H. Whitlock wrote:
>
> > I'm a newbie just beginning to pull together a transformation system (and
> > later, dynamic web component)for my organization. I have started small,
> > working with XSL to create only HTML and PDF formats. Today a coworker asked
> > me about generating Postscript.  I blithely answered, "of course," thinking
> > that PS comes before PDF. However, now that I think about it, I'm not sure
> > if Cocoon's transformation tools can do this for me. We don't need something
> > formed for the browser or Adobe viewer, but rather something to go straight
> > to the printer without that interim processing. Any ideas?
>
> Can't be done out of the box. You either have to write an equivalent to
> fop, only for generating PostScript instead of PDF (but how to deal with
> output device specific information??) or you convert the PDF put out by
> fop to PostScript with some tool (GhostScript, Acrobat Reader etc.)

Most linux dists come with pstools, which include a pdf2ps executable. You can always use that.

Sergio

How can I get Cocoon to return XML+XSL = HTML for all browsers except Internet Explorer?

Posted by Tim Darling <td...@glue.umd.edu>.
The producer I wrote is returning XML all the time now for me...

Also, my producer gets XML straight from my database connection.. it never
uses a static XML file.  Is there a way around the
  http://../index.xml?producer=getXMLfromDB
format, since I don't ever use the index.xml?

Thanks!

Why is Cocoon returning the XML and not adding in my XSL??? !

Posted by Tim Darling <td...@glue.umd.edu>.
It returns:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html-in-xml/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<?xml-stylesheet href="bids-table.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
<AUCTIONBLOCK>
<ITEM>
<TITLE>Vase and Stones</TITLE>
</ITEM>
</AUCTIONBLOCK>
<!-- This page was served from cache in 1 milliseconds by Cocoon 1.8.2 -->

The stylesheet is there.. Anyone know?  Thanks

RE: Transformations to PS

Posted by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, H. Whitlock wrote:

> Thanks all,
> Yes, ghostscript came to mind. Quite honestly, I think my esteemed colleague
> is just trying to poke holes in this "xml stuff."  However, he raised a
> valid question since most of our printers are not capable of printing
> straight from pdf.

It is not necessary to print straight from PDF. You can print via CUPS or
use Acrobat Reader or GhostScript to convert the PDF to PostScript or ...

In fact no printer can print "straight from PDF" - at one point there has
to be a software that converts the PDF code into a bitmap. Now some
printer vendors thought they were clever and integrated that software into
their printers - bad idea, because this built-in software is very hard to
upgrade, plus you have no influence whatsoever on what it does.

So you better rasterize in a place, where you have control. I use CUPS and
think everyone should :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring