Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Adam Jenkins <ad...@yahoo.com.au> on 2010/01/25 06:33:23 UTC

got any really killer XSLTs???

Hi All,

Over the coming months, I'm going to be messing around with the Xalan code a bit, trying out a few things...and I want to start with a few killer benchmarks...so I can see if my changes have any performance impacts.

If anyone has some really killer XSLTs...you know the ones....that create heaps of objects, or take 10 minutes to run...that kinds stuff...that aren't proprietary, I'd really appreciate you emailing me a copy to use as a benchmark.

That way I can set up some good profiling before work.

Cheers
Adam

Re: got any really killer XSLTs???

Posted by Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
Adam,

 Try any of the Docbook stylesheets [1]. They are quite large and heavyweight.

-- Santiago

[1] http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/DocBookXslStylesheets

Posted by Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
Adam,

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi, Adam.

Adam Jenkins <ad...@yahoo.com.au> wrote on 01/25/2010
12:33:23 AM:
> Over the coming months, I'm going to be messing around with the
> Xalan code a bit, trying out a few things...and I want to start with
> a few killer benchmarks...so I can see if my changes have any
> performance impacts.
>
> If anyone has some really killer XSLTs...you know the ones....that
> create heaps of objects, or take 10 minutes to run...that kinds
> stuff...that aren't proprietary, I'd really appreciate you emailing
> me a copy to use as a benchmark.
>
> That way I can set up some good profiling before work.

I just wanted to mention something you should keep in mind when you're
doing this:  the stylesheets that take many minutes to run processing a
single input are interesting and important, but at least as important are
stylesheets that will be running on a server, processing hundreds of
requests per second.

If you can find a copy of the XSLTMark benchmark tests anywhere, you might
want to try them out - they aren't necessarily the best, and don't
necessarily reflect typical usage on a server, but there haven't been many
other XSLT benchmark tests published.

Something else to consider - most of the performance work that's been
carried out in the Apache Xalan-Java project, other than early on in the
project's history, has been focused on the XSLTC processor rather than on
the Xalan-J interpreter.

Thanks,

Henry
Henry Zongaro
XML Transformation & Query Development
IBM Canada Lab   T/L 313-6044;  Phone +1 905 413-6044
mailto:zongaro@ca.ibm.com

Re: got any really killer XSLTs???

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi, Adam.