Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com> on 2013/07/30 22:55:49 UTC

AMQP Management Operations

In reference to the AMQP Management Spec. v1.0 (wd02):

I see that for retrieving information about manageable objects in a
container there are a few options:

  * Use the "READ" operation to query a specific object by name,
  * Use the "READALL" operation to query every object in the container,
  * Use the "DISCOVER-NAMES" operation to get the names of all objects
    and then "READ" to query individual objects.

I can envision situations where a given container may contain very large
numbers of objects (possibly millions).  In this case, READALL and
DISCOVER-NAMES will be impractical to use (i.e. they will return with
"413 - Request entity Too Large").  Using the optional "limit" argument
doesn't appear to help.  The thing I'm looking for may be beyond the
limit and I'll never see it.

It would be good to have a way to query all objects of a particular
type.  Can READALL and DISCOVER-NAMES be altered such that specific type
names can be used, rather than only allowing "org.amqp.management"?

Thanks,

-Ted

Re: Uniqueness of names across types [was Re: AMQP Management Operations]

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
So, since I sent that mail I think we revised our thinking mostly based on
arguments about what a "type" is (if everything is derived from
org.amqp.Manageable" or something then the type restriction doesn't really
help)... though I admit to hating it myself quite a lot.  One option is to
use a path like structure for names (as one might do in a REST API), so
"/queue/foo" and "/user/foo" would be distinct... however this has the very
undesirable effect of making it virtually impossible for a user to pick a
name for the object they are creating unless they understand the scheme.
Another alternative might be to say that different management nodes should
be used for things that have distinct namespaces... so $management might
know of two other management nodes $management.queues and $management.users
and via meta data discovery you could work out where you would have to go
to manage users, and where to go to manage queues... The next OASIS call is
next week, it would be good if you could come along and we can have the
discussion with the others involved.

-- Rob

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
I've replied one technical point on the OASIS list:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/amqp/201307/msg00011.html

In general I am also in favour of being able to add restrictions to the
READALL and DISCOVER-NAMES operations such that the only bring back objects
of a given type.

-- Rob