Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2023/05/26 07:44:00 UTC

GH issues and GH discussions

Hi,
This has been already discussed in the past.
But due to recent changes in ASF Jira infrastructure (limitation of
Jira users, validation of account creation).
Maybe we could reconsider moving from Jira to GH issues and why not
simplify the workflow as well.
I imagine not having to create an issue if a PR exists first (sounds
like duplicate work).
By the way, release notes will be automatically created from PRs.
(could be manually modified if a change doesn't have a PR).

Regarding migration, we can start project by project.
Few options:
- extreme simplicity, do not migrate any data (just mark the Jira
project as read only with a banner/link to corresponding gh issues).
If someone really needs an issue to get fixed he will clone it to GH
- middle complexity, migrate only open issues (components moved as a label)
- extreme complexity, migrate all issues of a project (components
moved as a label and version created)

We can start by small projects such as cache-extension and one plugin
(compiler?)

Regarding GH discussions, maybe we can open discussions for
https://github.com/apache/maven which sounds like a natural place for
users to go. (discussions could be mirrored to a ML)
I do not have a strong opinion here, but I feel like opening
discussions for every single repo will be complicated to follow up.

WDYT?

cheers
Olivier

Re: GH issues and GH discussions

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

I really like GH issues and discussions ... they lower the bar for contribution quite a bit and feel a lot more inviting for newer contributors. At least have we seen a significant increase in contributions since we switched to GH Issues and are currently starting to use GH Discussions in PLC4X.

And I should mention that I just recently had an Apache Infra PR of mine merged, which make it possible to format the subjects of the auto-generated GH emails to make them usable in normal email clients (Pior to that merge, the GH Discusssion emails were not configurable)

I documented the settings we use quite successfully in PLC4X and StreamPipes here:

Hope that helps,

Chrs

________________________________
Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
So much spam got into jira, it had to be locked down. You should see the
junk I mod out of the Xalan lists...

Gary

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
I am +1 to move to GH issues.
In Apache BookKeeper and Pulsar we had a script that did the migration
pretty seamlessly and I used that script also for other OSS projects
outside of the ASF. (I can't find it now, but it should be buried in some
git repo somewhere)

Enrico

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Landis <je...@hotmail.com>.
You are correct, never used Polarion.  Sounds like that might have been as bad as PVCS compared to nearly all other SCM 😉

IMO simple is better when it comes to that stuff and linking tickets isn't that hard.  I've not done anything with gitlab but on GH its trivial, maybe not the best but just dropping comments with URL links hooks things together.  Maybe not elegant.  But then again I don't have 100s of possible variations of setup.  Only improvement in Jira I like is service desk and using it for Kanban.  Even then too many clicks to just add a note that I’m doing something, here are details, close it.  My day job ruined its general usage though.  Has more to do with the customization they added to such an extent that it’s a time tracker and developers now spend more time there then actually coding so management and product teams are happy and they continue to assume coding takes no time.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Am 2023-05-27 um 12:10 schrieb Tamás Cservenák:
> Howdy,
>
> I do agree with Lukasz here...but
>
> In general, my intention with bringing up this on Slack was motivated
> by following reasons:
> - we do have ML (signup needed),
> - we do have JIRA (ask + approval + signup needed),
>
> But all this is a high barrier for "one off" users, many of our users
> want to ASK us about something, so going through hoops and loops above
> (and coming back 2 yr after with "please unsub me...") only to post a
> question is just a very bad experience.
>
> Moreover, we are very fragmented repository-wide, and I bet that a
> novice user will simply be lost:
> - WHERE (as in which Maven-* GH repo) to ask
> - WHERE (as in which Maven-* GH repo) to report issue
> - etc
>
> This is why I recommended "single entry point", a kind of dispatcher
> (discussion) repo/GH project, where one off users can hop on, ASK
> things and disappear if they like, receive answers where to go, and so
> on. And if they feel like it, they could join ML or register to JIRA,
> something TODAY EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO REACH OUT TO US must do. Hence, most "one off askers"
> would not go so far even.
>
> For me, most reasonable would be a new "discussion only" project, for
> example "apache/maven-project" on GH, that would contain no source, no
> issues, only discussions enabled and would serve as a "low barrier lobby"
> for newcomers.
>
> Opening discussions in _existing repository_ is unwise IMHO, as "general"
> discussions/questions do not belong to apache/maven, nor
> apache/maven-clean-plugin, nor any other existing repo.

I truly do like your idea and also agree with Lukasz -- never give up to control to a single party, especially one like MS.

Upshot: One entry point with an empty repo.

B KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB  [  X  ܚX KK[XZ[
 ] ][  X  ܚX PX] [  \X K ܙ B  ܈Y][ۘ[  [X[  K[XZ[
 ] Z[X] [  \X K ܙ B

Re: GH issues and GH discussions

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 28 May 2023 at 04:53, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 2023-05-27 um 12:10 schrieb Tamás Cservenák:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I do agree with Lukasz here...but
> >
> > In general, my intention with bringing up this on Slack was motivated by
> > following reasons:
> > - we do have ML (signup needed),
> > - we do have JIRA (ask + approval + signup needed),
> >
> > But all this is a high barrier for "one off" users, many of our users want
> > to ASK us about something, so going through hoops and loops above (and
> > coming back 2 yr after with "please unsub me...") only to post a question
> > is just a very bad experience.
> >
> > Moreover, we are very fragmented repository-wide, and I bet that a novice
> > user will simply be lost:
> > - WHERE (as in which Maven-* GH repo) to ask
> > - WHERE (as in which Maven-* GH repo) to report issue
> > - etc
> >
> > This is why I recommended "single entry point", a kind of dispatcher
> > (discussion) repo/GH project, where one off users can hop on, ASK things
> > and disappear if they like, receive answers where to go, and so on. And if
> > they feel like it, they could join ML or register to JIRA, something TODAY
> > EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO REACH OUT TO US must do. Hence, most "one off askers"
> > would not go so far even.
> >
> > For me, most reasonable would be a new "discussion only" project, for
> > example "apache/maven-project" on GH, that would contain no source, no
> > issues, only discussions enabled and would serve as a "low barrier lobby"
> > for newcomers.
> >
> > Opening discussions in _existing repository_ is unwise IMHO, as "general"
> > discussions/questions do not belong to apache/maven, nor
> > apache/maven-clean-plugin, nor any other existing repo.
>
> I truly do like your idea and also agree with Lukasz -- never give up to
> control to a single party, especially one like MS.
>
> Upshot: One entry point with an empty repo.

Well in case you didn't know the reason for "locking" Jira user
creation (apart from avoiding spam) is the coming move (not sure if
it's not already done) of Jira to Atlassian cloud (which have users
number limitation that's why there is some cleaning of Jira's user).
This limitation doesn;'t exist using gh.
So this problem of single party is just going away,
Jira has some features such as agile management, time estimation,
sprint planning etc..
But are we really using that? Do we really need that?

As far as I can see the usages are:
1. users or dev report a bug or a feature they would like to see
2. dev create a jira after having created a PR (because we said so....)

Then what do we do with that:
1. dev makes a comment and eventually assigns a fixed version. (which
GH just set a milestone)
2. I propose here to not have to create a Jira if a PR exists because
it is just duplicate paperwork.
    just create the PR assign a millestone, everything is in the same
place no need to create another ticket somewhere else with the exact
same description as the PR
    Github contributors are just used to that, it's simple and quick
no need to add the burden of creating another entry in the tool which
is not linked to the code you are happy to contribute to.
    We should be happy to have people contributing to code directly.
And frankly once there is a PR created all the comments are made in
the PR the jira is not commented anymore at all

Using discussions sounds the same as stackoverflow or anything else,
just another channel of communication.
People have preferences and by the way this is the "mode" effect as
well... (same as https://gitter.im/ was trendy etc..)
It's just a matter of opening another channel, nothing else. Now we
just need to be sure we listen to it and answer it....

I was thinking of opening discussions here
https://github.com/apache/maven as it sounds like a more natural
naming convention Maven is at Apache so that sounds like an easy
typing url.
Users will figure out and probably ask questions as they can do using
user@maven.apache.org and ask questions on core and plugins.
but if you prefer something else why not. I'm just curious to see if
this will really attract people.

For sake of clarity, sending to ML does not need subscription, it's
possible to send an email without being subscribed, the post will only
need to be moderated and people can read answers in archives.

Re: GH issues and GH discussions

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
Howdy,

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.

Posted by Hervé Boutemy <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 30 May 2023 at 00:04, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> GH has the notion of "projects". Can't we use that?

this is something very different. It's used to be a sort of project
version in where to add issues/PRs you want to be done to finalize the
project/version. (as an example look how it is used here
https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/projects?query=is%3Aopen )

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

On 29.05.23 15:50, Christoph Läubrich wrote:
> I must confess "another central project" do not feels right:
>
> 1) there already is a "central" one everyone can easily find if
> searching for "maven github": https://github.com/apache/maven/

That does not help here because that project is Maven itself (maven
core)... which will produce much more confusion from my POV.

> 2) for "subprojects" its usually better to discuss things close where
> the code is

In general yes ... but unfortunately many people do not see the need
focus for that...(https://maven.apache.org/plugins/) shows every project
with link to appropriate GH projects etc...

> Please note that some feature in GH do not work well across repositories
> (e.g. embedding code snippets in issues), also I don't see any advantage
> in scattering things around.

Yes that is a real problem with GH issues etc.

> Having a "central place "where contributors need to watch out and move
> things around or need to find out what the topic is about will make
> things more confusing, usually users are quite familiar with finding the
> right place.

I have different experiences...

> If one wants to group things more, it would be better to have an
> apache-maven organization on gihub and move all maven related there (the
> one can also have organization readme, pinned repositories and so on),
> this works quite well (e.g. Eclipse Foundation uses that approach).

Yes that might be a better solution going via a Apache Maven Project
Organisation ... +1 for that...

But in the end it will not solve the problem to redirect the people to
the "correct" project....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbase

Posted by Christoph Läubrich <ma...@laeubi-soft.de>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 30 May 2023 at 01:44, Hervé Boutemy <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le lundi 29 mai 2023, 13:50:58 CEST Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
> > To fulfill the formalism (also have documented the decision here on the
> > ML) we should start simply a VOTE to get an in general decision about
> > moving to GH-issues to leave JIRA behind... (not about the details) that
> > can be done later on...(for example using GH discussions etc.)
> >
> > afterwards we can decide with which project we would like to start and
> > fiddle the details.
>
> I'd do it the exact opposite order:
> - test first Jira to GH  for a few projects
> - clarify Users ML replacement with GH Discussion (IIUC, this is what the GH
> discussion looks like, but I did not yet understand fuly: i have no
> experience, sharing examples would be useful)

We cannot replace Users ML; it should stay and be a mirror of GH discussions.
Various reasons:
- subscription to a third party provider is mandatory for GH
discussions whereas you can post a question to uers@ without
registration. Not convenient I agree because you have to wait for
moderation and consult the ML website but some users may still want
freedom of non registration.
- GH is not available in some countries. We will already prevent them
from creating issues because of moving to GH issues so we should leave
them at least one option to reach to us.

Posted by Hervé Boutemy <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 29 May 2023 at 21:51, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would suggest to create an umbrella project like:
>
> apache-maven-project
>
> on github and make it the central starting point for users... to ask
> question (discussions) and optionally reroute them to the appropriate
> github repos...

we can;t really get rid of ML user or dev.
Is it what you mean here?

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
On 29.05.23 14:07, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Am 2023-05-29 um 13:50 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would suggest to create an umbrella project like:
>>
>> apache-maven-project
>>
>> on github and make it the central starting point for users... to ask
>> question (discussions) and optionally reroute them to the appropriate
>> github repos...
>>

>> In general I agree to the tendency to use GH issues etc. instead of JIRA
>> based on the hurdles which exists (for a lot of reasons)...
>>
>> I second Hervé's suggestion to write down the needed/practical steps ...
>> and start going...what about things currently in JIRA and needed to be
>> migrated moved etc. ..We have a large history in JIRA...
>>

>> To fulfill the formalism (also have documented the decision here on the
>> ML) we should start simply a VOTE to get an in general decision about
>> moving to GH-issues to leave JIRA behind... (not about the details) that
>> can be done later on...(for example using GH discussions etc.)
>>
>> afterwards we can decide with which project we would like to start and
>> fiddle the details.
>
> Before we do that, we need to aggressively go through all tickets and
> closes issues which we will never address or are invalid by now.

Yep good idea +1 for that.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: GH issues and GH discussions