Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Jason Kania <ja...@ymail.com> on 2018/05/15 03:15:52 UTC

Leader Retrieval Timeout with HA Job Manager

Hi,

I am using the 1.4.2 release on ubuntu and attempting to make use of an HA Job Manager, but unfortunately using HA functionality prevents job submission with the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to retrieve JobManager address
        at org.apache.flink.client.program.ClusterClient.getJobManagerAddress(ClusterClient.java:308)
        at org.apache.flink.client.program.StandaloneClusterClient.getClusterIdentifier(StandaloneClusterClient.java:86)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.createClient(CliFrontend.java:921)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.run(CliFrontend.java:264)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.parseParameters(CliFrontend.java:1054)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend$1.call(CliFrontend.java:1101)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend$1.call(CliFrontend.java:1098)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.security.NoOpSecurityContext.runSecured(NoOpSecurityContext.java:30)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.main(CliFrontend.java:1098)
Caused by: org.apache.flink.runtime.leaderretrieval.LeaderRetrievalException: Could not retrieve the leader address and leader session ID.
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.util.LeaderRetrievalUtils.retrieveLeaderConnectionInfo(LeaderRetrievalUtils.java:113)
        at org.apache.flink.client.program.ClusterClient.getJobManagerAddress(ClusterClient.java:302)
        ... 8 more
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Futures timed out after [60000 milliseconds]
        at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.ready(Promise.scala:223)
        at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.result(Promise.scala:227)
        at scala.concurrent.Await$$anonfun$result$1.apply(package.scala:190)
        at scala.concurrent.BlockContext$DefaultBlockContext$.blockOn(BlockContext.scala:53)
        at scala.concurrent.Await$.result(package.scala:190)
        at scala.concurrent.Await.result(package.scala)
        at org.apache.flink.runtime.util.LeaderRetrievalUtils.retrieveLeaderConnectionInfo(LeaderRetrievalUtils.java:111)
        ... 9 more

This seems to also be tied to problems in having the TaskManager register. I have to repeatedly restart the TaskManager until it finally connects to the Job Manager. Most times it doesn't connect and doesn't complain making the determination of the root cause more difficult. The cluster is not busy and I have tried both with IP addresses and host names to determine if name resolution issues were the cause, but both situations are the same.

I have also noticed that if 2 job managers are launched on different nodes in the same cluster, they both come back with logging indicating that they are the leader so they are not talking to each other effectively and the logging is not even indicating that they are even attempting to talk with one another.

Lastly, the error "Could not retrieve the leader address and leader session ID." is a very poor error because it does not tell where it is attempting to get the information from.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Leader Retrieval Timeout with HA Job Manager

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi Jason,

sorry for the late response. The logs look indeed strange because both JMs
are granted leadership without the other getting its leadership revoked.
What would be interesting is to take a look at the Znode under
`/flink/flink-ha/leader/00000000000000000000000000000000/job_manager_lock`
in your ZooKeeper cluster. You should be able to take a look at the Znodes
with `bin/zkCli.sh -server <SERVER_ADDRESS>`. One of the TMs retrieves the
leader address and the other is not notified about the leader change. It is
as if the ZooKeeper cluster does not notify Flink about the changes.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Hi Jason,

the client logs would indeed be very interesting to further debug this
problem. What you have to make sure is that the client has the same HA
configuration settings as the cluster because the client needs to talk to
your ZooKeeper quorum in order to retrieve the leader address.

When executing 2 JobManagers, then only one should be the leader.
Everything else sounds either like a serious bug or a setup problem. Could
you maybe share the logs for these processes as well?

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.