Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/16 23:03:01 UTC

Ui: History view

Hello All,

Below is a link to a description of a minor ui update we're calling history view. This will allow you to rollover the breadcrumb and view the panel information without needing to click on the corresponding breadcrumb.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/UI+-+History+View

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Re: Ui: History view

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Same opinion here - at best distracting - at worst I fear we'll get
bugs filed because it still shows the 'action' buttons, but per the
description it would disappear before you navigated to them, and would
never be clickable.

--David

RE: Ui: History view

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
I like the 'glass' border effect....

Not sure I like the 'history' windows style hover panal.

KELCEY DAMAGE
Infrastructure Systems Architect
www.backbonetechnology.com
kelcey@bbits.ca

address: 55 East 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC, V5T 1M4
tel: +1 604 713 8560 ext:114
fax: +1 604 605 0964
skype: kelcey.damage

RE: Ui: History view

Re: Ui: History view

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

RE: History view

Posted by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com>.
Thanks for the feedback all.

-We can rework the name to make more sense, perhaps panel preview.

-I like the glass effect too.

-We will investigate this more in terms of being able to select items from the preview. For now this is to help with usability in the manner that Jessica mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

> Below is a link to a description of a minor ui update we're calling
> history view. This will allow you to rollover the breadcrumb and view
> the panel information without needing to click on the corresponding breadcrumb.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/UI+-+History+Vi
> ew
>
> As always, feedback is appreciated.
>
> Thanks You and Best Regards,
>
> Sonny H. Chhen
> Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems -
> CloudPlatform
> 4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Hi Sonny,
I have 3 comments on it.

First, I like the way this lets me drill down without actually clicking. It is easier to quickly browse around the detail panels from one place. Users complain about getting lost in too many levels and having to click too much, and this combats that.

Second, I'm not sure "history view" describes it. To me, the feature is looking into the future -- what would happen if I clicked this breadcrumb?
-- rather than the past. I'd call it a preview, or "instant details" view, or something like that.

Third, I agree with David that seeing the buttons in the popup is confusing. Users will expect to be able to click them. Is there a way to erase them before display?

Jessica T.
CloudStack Tech Pubs

Re: History view

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.