Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Johannes Schneider <ma...@cedarsoft.com> on 2010/08/05 22:30:00 UTC

Releasing only one (sub)module within an SCM tree

Re: Releasing only one (sub)module within an SCM tree

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Johannes, Olivier!

Took me some time to find a few free minutes but now I've coded the support for
releasing child modules into maven-release-manager.

Please see MRELEASE-457 for a patch which needs to be reviewed before I'll check
it in.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Johannes Schneider <ma...@cedarsoft.com>.

On 08/06/2010 10:53 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> Do you have a scm element in your module ?

I tried it. At the moment I just have an scm element in my parent.

> Just to be sure your tree is similar to : http://github.com/olamy/scm-git-test ?
> And you want to release only my-app ?

Yes, exactly. That is the scenario. Now I just want to remove the
modules section from the parent...

> By the way it could be fixed if there was a way to do something like
> git clone git@github.com:olamy/scm-git-test.git/my-app

Yes. But that is not possible... (Un)fortunately...

Maven is build with Subversion in mind... Therefore the problems.

Johannes

> Or doing some hackhish stuff for git in the release plugin.
>
> Can you load an issue on this ? (IHMO it looks to be reasonnable to
> add hack for such case)
>
> 2010/8/5 Johannes Schneider <ma...@cedarsoft.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have such a structure within my Git tree:
>
> daParent
>        - moduleA
>        - moduleB
>        - ...
>
> Until today I released all modules together. This worked like a charm.
>
> Now I want to release the modules independently. But that does not work.
>
> I have removed the "modules" section from "daParent" and have been able
> to release that artifact successfully.
> Now I upgraded the parent version within moduleA and moduleB manually.
>
> But releasing moduleA does *not* work now.
>

> release:prepare works as expected, but release:perform checks out the
> the tagged version and tries to release "/pom.xml".
> Of course this pom is the pom of "daParent"...
>
> Since I am using Git I can't simply add a corrected scm tag to moduleA
> and moduleB...
>

> So how could I solve that? I experimented with
> -DpomFileName=moduleA/pom.xml but that did not work....
> Any ideas are welcome...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Johannes

- --

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Do you have a scm element in your module ?
Just to be sure your tree is similar to : http://github.com/olamy/scm-git-test ?
And you want to release only my-app ?

By the way it could be fixed if there was a way to do something like
git clone git@github.com:olamy/scm-git-test.git/my-app

Or doing some hackhish stuff for git in the release plugin.

Can you load an issue on this ? (IHMO it looks to be reasonnable to
add hack for such case)

2010/8/5 Johannes Schneider <ma...@cedarsoft.com>:

Olivier
http://twitter.com/olamy