Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "stefan@eissing.org" <st...@eissing.org> on 2021/08/30 11:35:30 UTC

release?

In what state is our release handling? Given someone holding my hand, could I do it? Or is it better to look someone over the shoulder while he does it?

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: release?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 30 Aug 2021, at 12:35, stefan@eissing.org wrote:

> In what state is our release handling? Given someone holding my hand, could I do it? Or is it better to look someone over the shoulder while he does it?

When I did it in the past, I walked through the commit emails of previous releases, and performed the same steps.

Regards,
Graham
—

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Noel Butler <no...@ausics.net>.
On 31/08/2021 18:09, Rainer Jung wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> any chance we find an RM for a APR 1.7.1 release? At least there was
> the fix for CVE-2021-35940 and CHANGES contains 15 more items (many of
> them platform specific or build improvements). Last release 1.7.0 was
> in April 2019.
>
> For APR-util I don't know the current state and release needs for the
> 1.6.x and 1.7.x branches. Last 1.6.x release was in October 2017, 1.7.x
> has never been released. CHANGES for 1.6.x only contains one
> apr_dbm_gdbm fix plus a minor libtool use improvement.
>
> Apache httpd is planing to start a release cycle soon and it would be
> nice to have a clean APR 1.7.1 and maybe APR-util also.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Rainer

+1

Alsoo, apr-util needs to be run out as well, I asked about this November
last year to resolve issues with later mariadb versions that still today
need manual patch

Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to
copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate
this message without the authors express written authority to do so.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then
delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2021-08-31 um 10:09 schrieb Rainer Jung:
> Hi there,
>
> any chance we find an RM for a APR 1.7.1 release? At least there was the
> fix for CVE-2021-35940 and CHANGES contains 15 more items (many of them
> platform specific or build improvements). Last release 1.7.0 was in
> April 2019.
>
> For APR-util I don't know the current state and release needs for the
> 1.6.x and 1.7.x branches. Last 1.6.x release was in October 2017, 1.7.x
> has never been released. CHANGES for 1.6.x only contains one
> apr_dbm_gdbm fix plus a minor libtool use improvement.
>
> Apache httpd is planing to start a release cycle soon and it would be
> nice to have a clean APR 1.7.1 and maybe APR-util also.

Oh yes please. I have done a few backports in APR 1.7.x which affect
Tomcat on Windows as well as the libtool stuff for HP-UX.

;

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 3:34 AM Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 9/10/21 10:28 AM, Steffen Land wrote:
> > Please be sure that the following two are included in 1.7.1 :
> >
> > PR 63491 regression in 1.7, see https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=39558
>
> r1882155 brought this already to 1.7.
>
> > PR 61165 CPU deadlock under load, see  https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/issues/2181
>
> Looks like to me that r1860057 is not backported yet to 1.7.

I agree with the fix and will pick this up shortly.

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 9/10/21 10:28 AM, Steffen Land wrote:
> Please be sure that the following two are included in 1.7.1 :
>
> PR 63491 regression in 1.7, see https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=39558

r1882155 brought this already to 1.7.

> PR 61165 CPU deadlock under load, see  https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/issues/2181

Looks like to me that r1860057 is not backported yet to 1.7.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Steffen Land <in...@apachelounge.com>.

Please be sure that the following two are included in 1.7.1 :

PR 63491 regression in 1.7, see
https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=39558
PR 61165 CPU deadlock under load, see
https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecurity/issues/2181

Steffen

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 03.09.2021 um 03:44 schrieb William A Rowe Jr:
> I'm willing to RM APR and APR-util 1.7 releases.

That would be great.

> Would propose we set a date out 2 weeks, anything lingering needs
> to be finalized with the usual oversight no later than the 8th, and
> we tag on the 14th, announce on the 15th when the mirrors have
> caught up. That gives enough days for committers to review the
> last changes to these release branches.

Sounds like a plan, though I can't judge on which important things need
to be fixed. Hopefully nothing.

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 7:37 AM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 10:09 AM Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 3:44 AM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > But I'd be happier co-RM'ing this with a newer committer/PMC
> > > participant who wants to learn the ropes. Any volunteers?
> >
> > \o_ thanks for helping! Anytime for, maybe in early 2022 days?
>
> 1. Is that an offer?

Sure it is :) I'm happy to assist you in the release process and learn about it.
I looked at the release.sh script which is quite simple and the
preliminar tagging process from the previous release, but following
someone who knows is always better..

> In any case I see us shipping a minimal APR 1.7.x with the fixes at hand and for
> Windows FS that frustrated some svn users. The scope of the unix domain socket
> enablement are probably late into January/early Feb. Unsure what other folks are
> working on that fit into the 1.8 bump.

I already backported the unix socket changes to 1.7.x, though Ivan
objected already given the non trivial changes.
I'd like it to be in 1.7.1 (mainly because of the new atomic/once
wakeup which is useful for httpd's mpm_event usage), but not a strong
opinion either so I could revert it's an uncomfortable change.

Besides, current 1.7.x is not a minimal change already w.r.t. 1.7.0,
some not-so-trivial backports are to address issues raised by running
ASAN built APR and httpd through their test suites (namely apr_pool's
r1884100, apr_thread's r1884103, apr_thread_pool's r1884110).
Those have landed for quite some time now, but more eyes are always welcome.

> We all need to review APR-util 1.7.0-dev, to ensure it's ready. That
> could happen
> before year end, or early next year, depending on how stable it is.

+1

> So yes, I'd be grateful for your help, and more than happy to help you :)

Great, let's go whenever you have the time for it ;)

Cheers;
Yann.

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 10:09 AM Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 3:44 AM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'm willing to RM APR and APR-util 1.7 releases.
>
> Any news on this?

I have the holidays, after the weekend, before that other end of year weekend to
my own home and affairs and loose ends, so I can go forward, and with any luck,
kick off both sets of filesystem problems in win32 (junction/symlink
along with the
brand new non-FS pseudo-domain-socket entities which are also nightmares.)

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Jan Ehrhardt <ph...@ehrhardt.nl>.
Yann Ylavic in gmane.comp.apache.apr.devel (Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:08:45
+0100):
>Hi Bill,
>
>On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 3:44 AM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm willing to RM APR and APR-util 1.7 releases.
>
>Any news on this?

Somebody on Apachelounge was asking about this:
https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=40872
--
Jan

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bill,

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: APR 1.7.1 release?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

APR 1.7.1 release?

Re: release?

Posted by "stefan@eissing.org" <st...@eissing.org>.
The v2 release scripts in ^/httpd/dev-tools do now work for me
to create the tarballs, checksums and signatures for a release
vote and push them to dist.apache.org.

The steps after a vote need some more work. I will do that in the
coming days. However, since we can do a vote now, this is not that
pressing.

The "announce.sh" part should stay usable as it is. I have no plans
to update that one, since I have 0 experience what this really does
and where any problems/room for improvements are.

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: release?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Re: release?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

APR 1.7.1 release?

Re: release?

Posted by "stefan@eissing.org" <st...@eissing.org>.

> Am 30.08.2021 um 22:53 schrieb Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr>:
>

> Le 30/08/2021 à 13:53, Eric Covener a écrit :
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 7:36 AM stefan@eissing.org <st...@eissing.org> wrote:
>>> In what state is our release handling? Given someone holding my hand, could I do it? Or is it better to look someone over the shoulder while he does it?
>> If there is an over-the-shoulder session I would like to tag along.  I
>> am flexible on time of day but I am GMT+4 (EDT).  I can host on webex.
>> Otherwise if you just want to struggle through it I can tag along but
>> I have no experience.
>
> I can give another try with my limited experience.
>
> I definitively would like to add a --dry-run option for all scripts so that they can be run for learning purpose without the fear of un-expected impact on svn.
>
> Existing scripts are not that easy to read at first, but are understanbdable and following http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html#how-to-do-a-release helps a lot. The scripts should also be tweaked because of the latest changes in several places (at least web site update (now on github) and CVE announcement (if any) now that part of the process is handled elsewhere).
>
> The CVE announcement should be much easier, now that we have a "Send these Emails" on cveprocess.a.o. This should simplify part of the process where we were preparing some scripts to send the announcement emails.
>
> I've been lacking time for httpd since many weeks, but I should be able to RM next week if needed.

I would like to look over your shoulder/help where I can. Maybe Eric can make a WebEx for us - that would make following along much easier, I guess.

Looking at the description link (thanks) I see that there are still a lot of "manual" things involved. And a "--dry-run" is definitely a thing we want. Will have a look at those scripts in the next days, to see what I can add here.

- Stefan

Re: release?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

The JSON files for the release’s CVEs should be committed here: https://github.com/apache/httpd-site/tree/main/content/security/json <https://github.com/apache/httpd-site/tree/main/content/security/json> : https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=httpd-site.git;a=tree;f=content/security/json;hb=HEAD <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=httpd-site.git;a=tree;f=content/security/json;hb=HEAD>

Re: release?

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <da...@bitnebula.com>.

Re: release?

Posted by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr>.

Re: release?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 8/31/21 8:57 PM, Christophe JAILLET wrote:

> Le 31/08/2021 à 20:25, Eric Covener a écrit :
>>
>> Should we think about reverting the recent mod_unique_id changes?  It
>> seems like that was noticed pretty quickly but I think the current
>> problem is still not well understood. Meanwhile the original problem
>> on the old codebase wasn't widely reported.
>
> +1
>
> We can also easily narrow the time window where duplicate can be generated by just reordering the previous code.

Yes, looks like the old code base was "better". So let's do the improvement you mention and take some time for
reviewing the rewrite proposals that have been made on the Github PR.

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: release?

Posted by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr>.

Re: release?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 12:41 PM Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Also: Anyone who has a showstopper to delay a release (even if not yet
> > proposed) please add it to 2.4.x STATUS so we can get things in order.
>
> I think that BZ 65519 and 65521 are showstoppers, I'm waiting for
> feedbacks from the OP to commit to trunk and propose the backport, but
> if it lasts too long I'll do it anyway..

+1, that POLLHUP one was one I was thinking of.

Re: release?

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Re: release?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.