Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/01/10 14:06:08 UTC

(PHP interperated via Java) [Fwd: RE: [JBoss-dev] PHP]

I thought this might be interesting to some folks...  They're porting
PHP to Java...

-Andy

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> I thought this might be interesting to some folks...  They're porting
>> PHP to Java...
>>
>> -Andy

Very late, but...

I think the right approach would be to change the PHP templates to
ensure that they produce "proper" XML (be it XHTML or whatever language
suits you) and the use it in a Cocoon Reader, or XSLT-it, or whatever,
from as far away from the original box as you can stay. If the original
apps are cleanly written (i.e. with themes, etc.) it should be simple

Instead of importing PHP nightmares into java, you would have to deal
with (more or less) clean data interfaces.

Don't ever allow anybody to lead you to think that "fixing" legacy apps
is your problem ;-)

This meta-knowledge has worked a lot for me. It you absolutely must,
just multiply your wages times 10 and pray ;-)

Regards,
      Santiago

Re: (PHP interperated via Java) [Fwd: RE: [JBoss-dev] PHP]

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2003/1/10 9:54 AM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> But interesting no? ;-)

Not anymore interesting than Jython...

"Hey, let's re-write every language in Java just to be interesting!"

I'm waiting for the C implementation in Java. Not.

-jon

Re: (PHP interperated via Java) [Fwd: RE: [JBoss-dev] PHP]

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
But interesting no? ;-)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> on 2003/1/10 5:06 AM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I thought this might be interesting to some folks...  They're porting
> > PHP to Java...
>
> Yea, it is called JSP w/ scriptlets.

JSP2.0 w/ JSTL. Full of ${blah} variables to make the PHP fan happy.

> This is a stupid idea.

Agreed. I don't know of anything that PHP has to offer to a JVM. PHP-OO is
a copy of Java's style generally, much of the ease of PHP is doable with
latest JSPs now, PHPs painful admin model is thankfully easier in Java,
and PHPs multitude of db-dependent [PEAR not being dominant] functions are
thankfully not in existence in Java.

The only thing PHP has over Java is the ease with which it fits in an
Apache server. It'd be much nicer to keep improving on [Sam's I think] the
PHP->Java link and defining a subset of PHP so that apache users can use
Java without having to link to another application.

Hen

Re: (PHP interperated via Java) [Fwd: RE: [JBoss-dev] PHP]

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.