Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nathan Eror <na...@baremetal.com> on 2002/08/03 02:01:10 UTC

RE: connecting behind a router (fwd)

do'h forgot to send this to the list for first time :-/

Hi Dennis,

> Can any of you get through to my server at all?
> http://dforeman.dns2go.com:81/~foreman
>
> Even an error message from the server is better than no page at all.

looks like your router or isp is not allowing connections to your box on
those ports. I maybe wrong, but when I try to telnet to either of those
ports I never get a packet back from your machine with the reset flag set
.. I never get a packet back period. If I was getting to your box and there
was no service on that port I would expect a the ack to come back with a
reset. On the other had if your router or ISP was filtering those ports
either would be able to drop the packets. I could be way off base though,
I'm pretty new at all this stuff. hmm an after though, I suppose it is
possible that your router is droping the reset acks coming back to me in
the forward chain ?

Cheers,
Nate

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.
On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:01:10 -0700 (PDT), Nathan Eror wrote:

>do'h forgot to send this to the list for first time :-/
>
>Hi Dennis,
>
>> Can any of you get through to my server at all?
>> http://dforeman.dns2go.com:81/~foreman
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK, I timed out---no response.

>> Even an error message from the server is better than no page at all.

Maybe not.  See below.

>looks like your router or isp is not allowing connections to your box on
>those ports. I maybe wrong, but when I try to telnet to either of those
>ports I never get a packet back from your machine with the reset flag set
>.. I never get a packet back period. If I was getting to your box and there
>was no service on that port I would expect a the ack to come back with a
>reset. On the other had if your router or ISP was filtering those ports
>either would be able to drop the packets. I could be way off base though,
>I'm pretty new at all this stuff. hmm an after though, I suppose it is
>possible that your router is droping the reset acks coming back to me in
>the forward chain ?

Ack!  I'm so accustomed to post-fixed replies, I got lost.  So, I'll
just respond to the immediate post above.

1.  A good firewall set-up will appear as a black hole to the outside
world.  That is, no response at all to non-acceptable requests.  The
fact that *nothing* returned only says that there was no response.

2.  As to the firewall, a gotcha got me on the forwarding issue.  I
carefully set the rule to forward all port 80 requests.  The gotcha was
that I forgot to tell it where to forward (a different set of rules).
When I set NAT (network address translation) to forward all port 80
requests to 192.168.0.2 on the LAN side, joy broke out.

3.  If your ISP is screwing with you, you're screwed from a production
standpoint.  Who's going to know to request, say, port 8080 rather than
80?

4.  If you plan to listen to a port other than 80 for http, pick a
number >1024, or so I've been told.  Numbers <1024 are pretty well
assigned to standard services.

These comments are free, and worth every cent.
--
gt          kk5st@swbell.net
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash

Re: connecting behind a router (fwd)

Posted by Ron Wingfield <rt...@archaxis.net>.
FYI, I can ping your box @ 66.67.208.92 with no packet loss. . .

OTTF,
Ron W.

Re: Tracking Down an Error

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.
On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:43:11 -0500, Gary Turner wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:26:24 -0600, Cartoon Factory wrote:
>
>>From: Andy Cutright [mailto:acutright@borland.com]
>

>>>if you think it's the perl script causing the problem, does the perl
>>>script log?
>>>
>>Hi Andy:
>>
>>Thanks for the reply. No, the scripts I am running to not log. Is there a
>>way to make perl log itself? (And if so, how?)
>>

>This from a non-serious hacker:  At the start of each script, add
>something similar to;
>
>	print "$script-name begin $date $time" >> /var/log/apache/cgiperl.log
>
>Then at each exit point;
>
>	print "$script-name end $date $time" >> /var/log/apache/cgiperl.log
>
>Consider these snippets to be pseudo-code, as I can't do Perl without
>the book in front of me. :)
>
>After killing your next runaway, a study of the log should hi-lite the
>culprit.  I think that this ordering will make it easy to extract info.

I really hate to reply to my own post, but I just noticed that you use
Lookout. :) If your server is on an Win machine, you might want to code
the log path to suit.  The path I used is Linux FHS compliant and of
course M$ doesn't comply with anything. ;^)  (I couldn't help myself.)
--
gt                  kk5st@swbell.net
 If someone tells you---

RE: Tracking Down an Error

Posted by Cartoon Factory <ga...@cartoon-factory.com>.
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!

First- how I found it! I enables server-status in httpd.conf. With extended
status on, I can get a list of all processes running, keyed to PID. So, when
(in Top) I see the process running wild, I note the PID, and load
server-status and find the matching PID. server-status shows what EXACT call
was made. It even returns all the parameters of the call...

So, if you have something running wild, and you don't know what, enable
server-status, and you will find it!

That is the important part. For anyone who cares WHAT was going wrong, well,
I wrote a bad reweriterule. I wanted the server to return a favicon from any
page that someone might save as a favorite (not always from the main page.)
As I have 100,000 pages, I did NOT want to put favicon.ico in all 1000,000
directories, so I wrote a rewrite rule to rewrite to the one copy of
favicon.ico on my server. I wrote this:

RewriteRule .*favicon.ico http://www.bcdb.com/favicon.ico [PT,NS]

Unfortunately, that causes a loop... and THAT was my runaway process!

Thanks to all who offered help!!!!

Thank You!
-------------------

Dave Koch
Gallery Director

             www.toon.com
     gallery@cartoon-factory.com
    801.583.3700 fax 801.583.3713

Posted by Andy Cutright <ac...@borland.com>.

Re: Tracking Down an Error

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.

<snip>

RE: Tracking Down an Error

Posted by Cartoon Factory <ga...@cartoon-factory.com>.
Andy:

I agree (now) I did not know what that error meant when  posted, I do now. I
think you are right... that is NOT the problem.

I am not 100% sure I can add the code to all my perl scripts.... there are
some that are pretty involved. But I am going to give that a shot today!

Thank You!
-------------------

Dave Koch

this looks to me like the client is timing out.. this looks more like a
symptom than the problem: something on your box is going into an
infinite loop/ not responding, so the client disconnects after some
amount of time.

Cartoon Factory wrote:

> I think I found the error....more at least some of it!
>
> I got this result after upping the error logLevel:
>
> [Sat Aug  3 15:17:07 2002] [info] [client 218.104.97.11] (32)Broken pipe:
> client stopped connection before rflush completed
> [Sat Aug  3 15:20:53 2002] [info] [client 146.65.233.10] (32)Broken pipe:
> client stopped connection before rflush completed
>
> Any idea what that might mean? What is rflush?
>
> Thank You!
> -------------------
>
> Dave Koch
> Gallery Director
>

>              www.toon.com
>      gallery@cartoon-factory.com
>     801.583.3700 fax 801.583.3713

Borland -- Enabling a new digital world where our customers have the
freedom of choice to develop, deploy, and integrate applications across
the enterprise and  the Internet. http://www.borland.com

Re: Tracking Down an Error

Posted by Andy Cutright <ac...@borland.com>.

RE: Tracking Down an Error

Re: Tracking Down an Error

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.

RE: Tracking Down an Error

Posted by Cartoon Factory <ga...@cartoon-factory.com>.
Andy:

Great help! I looked into this, and read the files on LogLevel. I was set at
"warn", and I upped it to "Alert". So far, nothing, but I will keep that
level up.

Also discovered "ScriptLog", which says, "In order to aid in debugging, the
ScriptLog directive allows you to record the input to and output from CGI
scripts"

I enabled this directive like this in httpd.conf:

ErrorLog /home/l/logs/server-error_log
LogLevel alert
ScriptLog /home/l/logs/cgi_error

which seems to be how to call it (and I thought this would be a good place
to put it.) I restarted the server, but no file "cgi_error" was created in
/home/l/logs (note, "/home/l/logs/server-error_log" is created!)

So, anyone familiar with ScriptLog? I am not 100% sure I have the syntax
right, or that this is exactly how to turn the log on. If someone knows (or
understands how to read the directions better than I), I would appreciate
knowing! You can read about it here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_cgi.html#scriptlog

Thank You!
-------------------

Dave Koch
Gallery Director

             www.toon.com
     gallery@cartoon-factory.com
    801.583.3700 fax 801.583.3713

you're probably familiar with the LogLevel directive in the httpd.conf,
right? that's about all i can offer ;^)

cheers,
andy

Re: Tracking Down an Error