Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> on 2004/11/01 16:59:15 UTC

Re: [REQUEST] XML Graphics setup

NOTE: This was sent to fop-dev & batik-dev as I have a question about
the mailing lists I'd like to clarify before we 'ask' infrustructure@.

On Oct 31, 2004, at 1:28 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Dear infrastructure people,
>
> the board has recently accepted the proposal for creation of the XML
> Graphics project (which is comprised of the XML projects Batik and
> FOP).
> To aid in the process, would infrastructure please do the following:

> (ia) renames and aliases
>
>   I.   batik-dev@xml.apache.org to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   I.   batik-users@xml.apache.org to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   II.  xml-batik-cvs@xml.apache.org to
> batik-commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   I.   fop-dev@xml.apache.org to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   I.   fop-users@xml.apache.org to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>   II.  xml-fop-cvs@xml.apache.org to fop-commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org
>
> Please create aliases so the old adresses continue to work!

When the Apache Forrest project changed to a new domain, they also
changed from forrest-dev@x.a.o to dev@f.a.o & user@f.a.o.
Unfortunately, with this change comes (IMHO) a significant problem for
browsers of the archives: forrest-dev@ mail is a completely separate
mailing list (with a separate interface). The problem is that
forrest-dev was used for *all* dev *&* user mailing list traffic, so a
search in the 'current' mailing lists' archives does not include
content in forrest-dev (that's a separate search).

For example, with the change to fop-user@xmlgraphics.apache.org, I'd
like to make certain (if possible or logical) that we don't end up with
a similar problem.

I'm not certain what the 'solution' looks like (or even if it's a real
problem!), but I thought we should chat. If it is a problem, we may
need to set up <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.apache.org as an alias to
and we add aliases for @xmlgraphics.a.o.

Is this something we should worry about? IMO, the ability to search
relevant archives using one search is more important than having a
'real' address vs. an alias. We still would want to have all headers
(e.g., Reply-To:) and trailers set to <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.a.o

Thoughts?

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: [REQUEST] XML Graphics setup

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
BTW, we do not necessarily need to change the email
addresses for the FOP and Batik mailing lists.  It
would nice anyway to keep the archives as one, instead
of needing to bounce between two lists.

We can also wait several months before changing.  Who
knows, there may be other changes down the road that
would require the "xmlgraphics" part to change again
anyway.  (For example, Apache wishing to group its
TLP's into zones-- XML, Jakarta, WS, etc.  In that
case fop-dev@xml.apache.org etc. would still be fine
for a ML name.)

Glen

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 01.11.2004 16:59:15 Clay Leeds wrote:
> NOTE: This was sent to fop-dev & batik-dev as I have a question about
> the mailing lists I'd like to clarify before we 'ask' infrustructure@.

<snip/>

> When the Apache Forrest project changed to a new domain, they also
> changed from forrest-dev@x.a.o to dev@f.a.o & user@f.a.o.
> Unfortunately, with this change comes (IMHO) a significant problem for
> browsers of the archives: forrest-dev@ mail is a completely separate
> mailing list (with a separate interface). The problem is that
> forrest-dev was used for *all* dev *&* user mailing list traffic, so a
> search in the 'current' mailing lists' archives does not include
> content in forrest-dev (that's a separate search).
>
> For example, with the change to fop-user@xmlgraphics.apache.org, I'd
> like to make certain (if possible or logical) that we don't end up with
> a similar problem.
>
> I'm not certain what the 'solution' looks like (or even if it's a real
> problem!), but I thought we should chat. If it is a problem, we may
> need to set up <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.apache.org as an alias to
> and we add aliases for @xmlgraphics.a.o.
>
> Is this something we should worry about? IMO, the ability to search
> relevant archives using one search is more important than having a
> 'real' address vs. an alias. We still would want to have all headers
> (e.g., Reply-To:) and trailers set to <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.a.o
>
> Thoughts?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [REQUEST] XML Graphics setup

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I can't tell what side-effects will arise from what I requested. I was
hoping there weren't any. Why don't you just ask the infrastructure
people? They will know better.

PS. Can we please use general@ for such discussions to minimize
cross-posting? By now, everyone interested in the XML Graphics setup
will be subscribed to general@xml...

On 01.11.2004 16:59:15 Clay Leeds wrote:
> NOTE: This was sent to fop-dev & batik-dev as I have a question about
> the mailing lists I'd like to clarify before we 'ask' infrustructure@.

<snip/>

> When the Apache Forrest project changed to a new domain, they also
> changed from forrest-dev@x.a.o to dev@f.a.o & user@f.a.o.
> Unfortunately, with this change comes (IMHO) a significant problem for
> browsers of the archives: forrest-dev@ mail is a completely separate
> mailing list (with a separate interface). The problem is that
> forrest-dev was used for *all* dev *&* user mailing list traffic, so a
> search in the 'current' mailing lists' archives does not include
> content in forrest-dev (that's a separate search).
>
> For example, with the change to fop-user@xmlgraphics.apache.org, I'd
> like to make certain (if possible or logical) that we don't end up with
> a similar problem.
>
> I'm not certain what the 'solution' looks like (or even if it's a real
> problem!), but I thought we should chat. If it is a problem, we may
> need to set up <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.apache.org as an alias to
> and we add aliases for @xmlgraphics.a.o.
>
> Is this something we should worry about? IMO, the ability to search
> relevant archives using one search is more important than having a
> 'real' address vs. an alias. We still would want to have all headers
> (e.g., Reply-To:) and trailers set to <mailing-list>@xmlgraphics.a.o
>
> Thoughts?

Jeremias Maerki