Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ToJira <to...@hotmail.com> on 2009/08/18 12:19:25 UTC

Distributed index

Hi,

I am very new to Solr and overall a newbie in software developing. I have a
problem with cross-platform implementation. Basically I have a local index
running on a windows server 2003 aided with a web service (asp.net) for the
user queries. However, I need to add another index on a remote Linux
computer. As I somehow understood, it is necessary to implement a Solr
server on the Linux because it is not possible to use .net there. So I would
like to know how do I search the remote index using the asp.net web service
user inqueries? Any tutorials related to this?

thanks!

Re: Distributed index

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM, ToJira <to...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very new to Solr and overall a newbie in software developing. I have a
> problem with cross-platform implementation. Basically I have a local index
> running on a windows server 2003 aided with a web service (asp.net) for
> the
> user queries. However, I need to add another index on a remote Linux
> computer. As I somehow understood, it is necessary to implement a Solr
> server on the Linux because it is not possible to use .net there.

Solr can run on Windows as well as on Linux. If you want, you can run it on
your windows server box.

> So I would
> like to know how do I search the remote index using the asp.net web
> service
> user inqueries?

Search and update is done through HTTP with the default data format being
XML. All you need to know is to make the correct http call and create/parse
XML. There are a couple of C# client libraries for Solr.

> Any tutorials related to this?

The Solr wiki is a good place to start looking.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/

Good Luck and welcome to Solr!

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.