Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com> on 2005/10/28 10:18:15 UTC

[m2] New plugin for Jetty6

FYI,

I've created a new plugin that runs Jetty6 on a Maven war project
without first requiring that the project is built into a war or
exploded war. This allows you to develop in an IDE and to avoid
having to run the mvn packaging step to test.

But the really useful feature of this plugin is that you leave
it running, and it will periodically scan the project for changes and
automatically redeploy the webapp if needed. This is particularly
convenient if you're using an IDE that does automatic compilation - you
can edit your changes and they will be reflected in the running
web container without you needing to do a thing.

At the moment, the plugin is on the MortBay Maven2 repository at
scpexe://jetty.mortbay.org/home/ftp/pub/maven2. Hopefully, this
will be mirrored to the main Maven2 repository soon. The plugin is:

   <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
   <artifactId>maven-jetty6-plugin</artifactId>
   <version>1.0</version>

You run it like so:

    mvn jetty6:run

The plugin has documentation with it, but isn't linked in to a
website (yet). In the meanwhile, you can check the JettyExperimental
project out on SourceForge and build it to get the plugin doco.

cheers
Jan

Re: [m2] New plugin for Jetty6

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
Mark,

Thanks for the quick response.

> That's great news!  I loved using jetty under m1 for speed for
> development and always meant to look into writing a scanner for hot
> deployment.
>
> One thing - I noticed that the plugin misses a few project
> dependencies at runtime.  You'll need to add the following to
> JettyMojo:
>
>     @requiresDependencyResolution runtime

Thanks for that. I've put it in. Must have been working for me because
I have the Jetty jars and dependencies in my local repo.

> Also, will the plugin really appear on ibiblio.org/maven2 - it depends
> on jetty 6-SNAPSHOT and I thought the central repo was only for
> released artifacts?

I'll take your advice on that as I'm not sure what the policy is. We
maintain a maven1 repository for Jetty releases which gets mirrored to
ibiblio.org/maven so I just assumed the maven2 repo would also be mirrored.

cheers
Jan

Re: [m2] New plugin for Jetty6

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.