Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2013/01/20 22:53:07 UTC

[VOTE] Log4j 2.0-beta4 rc1

This is a vote to release Log4j 2.0-beta4, the sixth release of Log4j 2.0.

Changes in this version include:

New features:
o Added Log4j 2 to SLF4J adapter.
o LOG4J2-131:  Add SMTPAppender. Thanks to Scott Severtson.
o Added hostName and contextName to property map.
o Add MessageFormatMessage and FormattedMessage.
o LOG4J2-134:  Use %red, %white, %blue, and so on in the console appender.
o LOG4J2-133:  Allow custom message creation via a message factory.
o Added Flume Appender samples.

Fixed Bugs:
o LOG4J2-152:  RollingFileAppender's FileRenameAction was throwing a NullPointerException if no directory was specified
        on the target file name. Thanks to Remko Popma.
o LOG4J2-150:  Convert all System.getProperty calls to use PropertiesUtil to suppress SecurityExceptions.
o LOG4J2-147:  ThreadContextMapFilter was matching on the key instead of the value of the key. Thanks to William Burns.
o Allow FlumeAvroManager to initialize even if it cannot connect to an agent.
o LOG4J2-149:  SMTPAppender will only cache filtered events. Thanks to Scott Severtson.
o LOG4J2-145:  Add missing serial version IDs.
o LOG4J2-144:  NullPointerException in RFC5424Layout.
o LOG4J2-143:  MessagePatternConverter now returns "null" if the log message is null.
o LOG4J2-142:  Serialized LogEvents were not reset in the output stream causing them to deserialize incorrectly.
o LOG4J2-139:  Fix null pointer exception in SocketAppender if no protocol is specified. The protocol will default
        to TCP for the SocketAppender and UDP for the SyslogAppender.
o LOG4J2-140:  Typo in documentation of SocketAppender. Thanks to Joern Huxhorn.
o LOG4J2-137:  Fix hang in Dumbster SMTP test server.
o LOG4J2-130:  PatternLayout should format throwables without requiring a converter.
o LOG4J2-135:  BaseConfiguration does not close the first appender. Thanks to Ingo Feltes.
o LOG4J2-132:  AbstractLogger.catching(Throwable) checks for DEBUG level but logs at ERROR level.
o LOG4J2-129:  RoutingAppender was only creating a single appender for the default Route.
o LOG4J2-126:  Allow JMS appenders to recover if the queue or topic is unavailable.
o LOG4J2-127:  AbstractLogger methods were not passing Markers to the isEnabled methods.
o LOG4J2-125:  JMSQueue and JMSTopic Appenders did not allow name to be specified.
o LOG4J2-111:  Enhanced javadoc copyright statement.
o LOG4J2-120:  TCPSocketManager would fail if the initial connection could not be established.
o LOG4J2-119:  A broken socket connection would cause the TCPSocketManager to continuously reconnect.
o LOG4J2-123:  The example for ThreadContextMapFilter was incorrect. Thanks to Olivier Lamy.
o LOG4J2-116:  File renaming was using the wrong date value. Enhanced DefaultRolloverStrategy to store newest files in
        highest index as well as lowest.
o LOG4J2-115:  ThreadContext Map elements with null values are now ignored when constructing a Flume event and in the
        RFC5424 Layout.
o LOG4J2-113:  StructuredDataFilter createFilter was annotated with PluginAttr instead of PluginElement for the
        KeyValuePairs.
o LOG4J2-114:  StructuredDataMessage was validating the length of the values in the event Map instead of the lengths
        of the keys. Thanks to Arkin Yetis.

Changes:
o LOG4J2-136:  Allow newlines to be escaped in Syslog and RFC5424 layouts. Allow Throwables to be included in
        the output from RFC5424Layout. Thanks to Scott Severtson.
o LOG4J2-128:  Add follow attribute to Console Appender.
o LOG4J2-122:  Add unit test to verify exceptions are thrown when the socket connection fails.
o LOG4J2-110:  Renamed log4j12-api to log4j-1.2-api.

Please test and cast your votes.
[] +1, release the artifacts
[] -1, don't release because…

The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or more if required).

Tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/log4j2/tags/log4j-2.0-beta4/

Web Site:
http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/log4j2/

Artifacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-148/

The artifacts may be downloaded using

wget -e robots=off --cut-dirs=3 -r -p -np --no-check-certificate https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachelogging-148/org/apache/logging/log4j/

2.0-beta4 rc1

Details:
The following artifacts have been staged to the org.apache.logging-148 (u:rgoers, a:72.201.39.46) repository.

archetype-catalog.xml
flume-remote-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
flume-remote-2.0-beta4.pom
flume-remote-2.0-beta4.war
flume-remote-2.0-beta4.war.asc
flume-remote-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
flume-remote-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
flume-common-2.0-beta4.jar
flume-common-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
flume-common-2.0-beta4.pom
flume-common-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
flume-common-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
flume-common-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
flume-common-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
flume-common-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
flume-embedded-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
flume-embedded-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
flume-embedded-2.0-beta4.war
flume-embedded-2.0-beta4.war.asc
flume-embedded-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
flume-embedded-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-samples-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-samples-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-web-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-web-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-web-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-web-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-web-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-web-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-web-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-web-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-slf4j-impl-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-jcl-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-1.2-api-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4-tests.jar
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4-tests.jar.asc
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-flume-ng-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-to-slf4j-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-bin.zip.asc
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-src.zip
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-bin.tar.gz
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-src.zip.asc
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-bin.tar.gz.asc
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-src.tar.gz.asc
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-bin.zip
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-distribution-2.0-beta4-src.tar.gz
log4j-api-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-api-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-api-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-api-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-api-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-api-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-api-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-api-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-core-2.0-beta4.jar
log4j-core-2.0-beta4-sources.jar
log4j-core-2.0-beta4-tests.jar.asc
log4j-core-2.0-beta4.jar.asc
log4j-core-2.0-beta4-sources.jar.asc
log4j-core-2.0-beta4-tests.jar
log4j-core-2.0-beta4.pom.asc
log4j-core-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar
log4j-core-2.0-beta4-javadoc.jar.asc
log4j-core-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-2.0-beta4.pom
log4j-2.0-beta4.pom.asc

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0-beta4 rc1

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
The error that concerns me is the message that says it cannot create checkpointdir target\file-channel.   Gary reported that he had a problem on windows but I haven't been able to duplicate it in my VM.

I might have to switch the tests from the file channel to the memory channel just so the tests aren't sensitive to windows.

Ralph

Sent from my iPad

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0-beta4 rc1

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
I tried the fix but still got an error. I will be traveling today so I won't get a chance to look at this until this evening.  I guess I will create a new candidate.

Ralph

Sent from my iPad

Re: [VOTE] Log4j 2.0-beta4 rc1

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.