Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/11 02:51:42 UTC

[VOTE] LOGO

This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences
from the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html

The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
transferable vote'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.

ryan

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I hope we are all happy with the result.  I'll post to solr-user tomorrow
: unless anyone chimes in with a veto or something crazy!

the only hitch is...

	...if your entry is selected to be the new Solr Log you must
	provide the "scalable vector, print quality version of the logo"
	prior to the selecting being official."

that doesn't really change anything as far as announcing a winner, but we
do need to make sure we get a vector version before it becomes "official"
(ie: updating the site, sending out prizes, etc...)

-Hoss

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
The logo is now up!

http://lucene.apache.org/solr/

Thanks to Hoss who fixed a missing file check in.  The one thing not
caught by testing locally...

-Mike

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
go for it....

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 17, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : > Ok, all votes are cast (except Grant who is abstaining)
> :
> : Thanks for tallying the votes, Ryan.  You're too damn quick for me!
>
> It loks like Michiel attached a rar filecontaining some eps variants
> of
> the winning entry to SOLR-84 (did someone email him off list asking
> for
> that?) so i think this is all official (the eps files seem to contain
> vector versions, but i don't have my good graphics tools on this
> machine
> so i'm not 100% positive)

i asked him off list...

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
I much prefer "Solr" being in that case format.  An all-upcased SOLR
ain't right to me.  But I'm particular about such things.  And the
font on the winner perhaps could use some tweaking?

	Erik

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394266/apache_solr_b_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394268/apache_solr_c_red.jpg

Bill

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png
>   ---- is this one ok?

Seems totally fine by me.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394218/solr-solid.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png  ---- is this one ok?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12392306/apache_solr_sun.png

If #3 above is not OK:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394218/solr-solid.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12392306/apache_solr_sun.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12391946/apache_solr_burning.png

Otis

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
I don't think STV makes much sense unless we are picking more then
one.  The key in STV is that the extra votes for the "winner" get
passed on to the choice.  Since there really is not a next choice it
does not help.

Instant Runoff however does make sense.  We cycle through the votes
and at each "round" toss out the losing candidate.  In each round,
everyone gets to vote for their top choice of available candidates
until something has a majority or no other candidates are left.  If
there is a tie at the end, the STV tally can break the tie.

We could rank more then 4 to ensure that the rounds could go
longer...  but i hope that is not necessary.  For things to work out
though it is important that everyone vote for the same number of
choices.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
Agreed -- assuming there is a clear winner none of this is an issue.
My rationale for saying we need to have 4 votes is to be sure that we
can go through 4 rounds and have everyone have a vote in each round.
If someone only put one preference and that is eliminated, there are
fewer votes to tally for the next round.

But i really don't care -- go ahead and vote for as many or as few as
you like...  with instant run off it should not matter (however if you
vote for too few and they are eliminated early you no longer have a
vote)

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394165/solr-logo.png

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12393995/sslogo-solr-70s.png

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
To try and avoid double-counting (the same person voting for a red
version, then a blue version, etc), I went back to the original vote:

21 people had one of the apache_solr_[abc]_[red/blue].jpg varianst
ahead of sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
3 people had sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png ahead of apache_solr_c_red.jpg variants.

Due to that, I'm revising my vote to remove sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
(if that makes a difference).
If one of the apache_solr_c_red.jpg variants win, we can still declare
a winner, but go back to the community for more guidance on the exact
version they prefer.

-Yonik

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394267/apache_solr_c_blue.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394263/apache_solr_a_blue.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394266/apache_solr_b_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394265/apache_solr_b_blue.jpg

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394268/apache_solr_c_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394350/solr.s4.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394267/apache_solr_c_blue.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394263/apache_solr_a_blue.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394266/apache_solr_b_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394070/sslogo-solr-finder2.0.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394265/apache_solr_b_blue.jpg

Rational:
- There was a strong preference for capital letters over small in "Apache Solr"
- There was a strong preference for "rays" over "sun"
- There was a strong preference for red over blue
- There seemed to be a preference for "rays or sun" over "finder"

-Yonik

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.

As discussed, I believe ryan ment "at least 4" ....

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12392306/apache_solr_sun.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394165/solr-logo.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png

koji

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] LOGO

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394266/apache_solr_b_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394475/solr2_maho-vote.png
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394264/apache_solr_a_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394268/apache_solr_c_red.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394350/solr.s4.jpg
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12394376/solr_sp.png

Rays > sun
Red > blue
Diversity > similar logos

:-)

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This thread is for solr committers to list the top 4 logos preferences from
> the community logo contest.  As a guide, we should look at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ryan/solr-logo-results.html<http://people.apache.org/%7Eryan/solr-logo-results.html>
>
> The winner will be tabulated using "instant runoff voting" -- if this
> happens to result in a tie, the winner will be picked by the 'Single
> transferable vote'
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
>
> To cast a valid vote, you *must* include 4 options.
>
> ryan

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.